“Fellows.”  Incoming UDHP freshmen hear this term all the time.  If they’re anything like I was two and a half years ago, they will wonder the real difference between Freshman Fellows, Russell Fellows, Senior Fellows, and Writing Fellows; what their interaction with these Fellows would be; and if they’d like to be involved in a Fellow program in the future.

My year thus far as a Russell Fellow has honestly been the best leadership experience I have ever had.  “RFs” are upperclassman Honors students who live on a floor along with about 30 Honors freshmen, and serve as resources for all things Honors, and then some.  We plan fun programs for our respective mentees and the broader Russell community; answer any questions or concerns about academics, Honors events, social life, etc.; build a cohesive community; and generally help freshmen acclimate to college.

This years Russell Fellows do the Usain Bolt pose!

Serving as an RF has been a wonderful opportunity. In fact, I regret not applying to be an RF my sophomore year as well.  My mentees are intelligent, hilarious, incredibly supportive of one another, and overall a bunch of terrific personalities I feel lucky to know.  I’m glad they became comfortable with me quickly, and I’ve enjoyed being able to help them get used to college life, register for classes for the first time, or plan out their Honors Degree.  They are a constant source of both support and amusement.  Some of my favorite moments as an RF have been when mentees just stop by my room to share something funny or embarrassing that happened to them that day.  As an RF, I have not only practiced my mentoring skills and planned fun programs; I have gained amazing friends in my mentees and the rest of the 2012-2013 RF crew.

Junior Maggie Stohler chose to be an RF because she wanted to become more involved with the UDHP.  She has also enjoyed the strong friendships the RF experience builds, saying, “my floor has instilled in me a sense of camaraderie that I hope to take with me whenever I encounter new groups of people”, and that “the tough love and persistent encouragement of my fellow Russell Fellows” helped her to learn about herself and grow as a “student, leader, and person”.  (Maggie, the feeling is mutual!)

Another great program is the Freshman Fellows: a group of about 35 Honors freshmen that are selected every year to work alongside the RFs, as well as plan out some programs themselves.  Emma Doney, (full disclosure:  she’s one of my mentees!) spoke about how Freshman Fellows has become a supportive place for her to meet “some great people”, a parallel to her positive experiences with high school band.  For Emma, Freshman Fellows “has been a wonderful group to get involved in, and was exactly what I was looking for.” It made her interested in serving as a RF or Senior Fellow next year.

The different Fellowships that Honors students can hold are great benefits of the UDHP.  It’s hard to believe I only have a few months left with my mentees, but I’m looking forward to working with Honors freshmen in a different capacity next year as a Writing Fellow.  What has been your experience as a Fellow?  Comment below!

~Ruby Harrington