We’re all college students, so we know the drill. You have that one friend who wants to go out to dinner but you just spent all of your money on textbooks (unless you’re a DuPont Scholar), food at the grocery store and maybe just splurged for your little. There is NO way you can afford a big dinner at Taverna right now. Luckily, I’m here to help. Granted, I’m no budgeter myself but I do know a thing or two about saving money when it comes down to it. Here are a few simple steps to doing what you want to do and not breaking the bank account while doing it.

whomp whomp.

#1:  Check out the menu beforehand. If you see that everything at the restaurant is expensive, either suggest a different place (like Kate’s, Deer Park or Grottos) or find something on the menu that is both filling and affordable. At Taverna, their pizzas are reasonably priced and really delicious! The same goes for a coffee shop. Sure, everyone loves the fun Frappucinos or Macchiatos but it’s hard to afford that habit. Opt for the plain coffee twice a week. A flavor shot is usually only 50¢ and you can add whatever you want to your liking.

#2: Do they accept OCMP? Unfortunately, I’m not one of those lucky kids to have an off-campus meal plan, but I know plenty of people that do. Find the places that accept OCMP and try to head there for that group dinner (or if you just don’t feel like cooking). True, you are spending your parent’s money, but that’s why they got you the meal plan in the first place. Don’t let it go to waste! Check out your options here (http://ocmp.com/SchoolsRestaurants.aspx?id=7).

#3: Research on HungryHens.com (link to www.hungryhens.com). Never heard of it? It’s the best money-saving tip out there. There are some great deals on there, just for University of Delaware students. The site features weekly specials and full menus, and that tip I mentioned above about the OCMP? They accept that too!

#4: Limit yourself to going out once a week. I know that’s one that you didn’t want to hear. But for those of you 21+ who are taking it to the bars on the weekend, you know that it can burn quite a big hole in your pocket. I’ve seen it happen. So, if you MUST make a trip to the bar, try to keep it to once a week and only bring a small amount of cash with you. I’ve also seen the ohnoibroughtmydebitcardandboughtdrinksforeveryone person the day after, and trust me. That’s not pleasant.

#5: Lastly, have a little self control. This is an especially hard one for me. I always want what I want and don’t really care how much it costs. Now that I’m trying to save up for post-graduation, I’m a little bit more conscientious. Do you really NEED that new Delaware shirt? Is it absolutely necessary for you to have that steak or could you go with chicken instead? All decisions come with an opportunity cost (hey… I guess I did learn something in Economics) and you just have to weigh your pros and cons!

Now, go save a buck (or two) and let me know what else you’re interested in for ‘How-to Tuesdays’!

Take it easy.

~Chelsey Rodowicz