I don’t know about you, but I end up being the type to need some type of background noise when I work, whether it is my Spotify playing in the background, an old episode of The Office on Netflix (R.I.P. The Office 2021), or some random “MrBeast” video I click on while scrolling through YouTube. Unless I was writing an essay, I’d hate it when teachers would tell the class that we couldn’t listen to music or watch videos while working. One time, in my AP World History class, I attempted to watch Step Brothers while going through the packet, but the teacher was like, “Yeah, no.” I’m still petty to this day. So, I thought I’d take the time and go through the top songs I listen to while studying for my Honors classes, both popular and not so popular.

First up: “Control” by Zoe Wees. This is a really good song that 1) kind of puts you in your feels but 2) has a really good beat. If I’m going through a Math WebAssign, I can sing my heart out and just pour my emotion into the lyrics. But if I’m reading something for Spanish, I can vibe with the beat of the music without worrying too much about what the lyrics are. I think this song overall is definitely a good one to put on your playlist. I give it an 8/10.

Next: “Stop” by Anthony Ramos. Almost everyone has seen Hamilton at this point, or you’ve probably heard enough of the hype that you’ve looked up a couple of songs. Anthony Ramos played John Laurens in the Broadway musical. This song, recently released, is high on my list for a couple of reasons. 1) It reminds me to “stop” and take life in. It isn’t all about school or work. I’ve got to step back and appreciate everything else surrounding me. 2) His voice is amazing. I loved his voice in Hamilton, and once I discovered he had music of his own, it was game over. After all considerations, I think this song is a nice touch when you’re in a good mood, about to finish your work for the day, and it’s time to relax. A solid 9/10.

Honorable mentions: “The Black and White” by The Band Camino, “Stupid Mistakes” by lovelytheband, “Kids” by Ben Rector, and “You Love Me” by flora cash. All of these songs, by genre and artist, really take up 80% of my playlist. Outside of doing homework, I like to just listen to these songs on road trips or during everyday chores. This is definitely my everyday music, and it works great as background noise when you’re trying to focus on your work more than the music. All together, these average a solid 7/10. 

Lastly: “Wildfire” by Nate Smith. Yes, I do listen to country music. I, personally, enjoy it a lot. Today’s country, less so than what played a decade ago, but I think every generation thinks that. I grew up on country music, every Sunday listening to Lon Helton on Country Countdown USA. This song is really catchy to me, and I enjoy listening to it when I’m working on my Honors Computer Science course. I can sing the lyrics and listen along without giving the music too much of my attention as I’m working. It’s like an unconscious thing. Between the catchiness and letting it roll in the background, this too gets a 7/10.

I would bring in a few more, but I don’t think there’s enough time. There’s just so many to choose from. I’m sure you have your favorite songs to listen to when you’re studying. Share them with me on Instagram: @raethefangirl. Also, here’s my Spotify Playlist if you’re interested.