John F. Kennedy Airport is an ugly place. With a confusing layout, thousands of rushing travelers, and a plethora of not-so-happy workers it is not my favorite place in the world, to say the least. But, on the afternoon of December 20, I was never more happy to be anywhere in my life.

Yes, it was my homecoming. My much-dreamed-about return to the United States. While I loved studying abroad, coming back to the U.S. was one of the happiest days of my life. Needless to say, I was a hot mess in the airport. My brothers were incredibly embarrassed by my excited sobs, but I did not care. I was just so thrilled to be back on American soil.

My journey home was quite the adventure. My nine-hour trans-Atlantic flight turned into an eleven-hour voyage. Because of strong winds, my plane was forced to stop in Halifax, Nova Scotia to refuel. Although it was quite painful to be stuck on a plane for almost twelve hours, I was able to add Canada to the list of countries that I visited on this trip. Additionally, due to the time differences and my inability to sleep on planes, it was also the longest day of my life. I was up for over twenty-four hours straight. So, although I was happy to be back, it was not the easiest day.

But, amid all the traveling and waiting, I realized that there is no feeling like coming home, especially around the holidays. I’ve truly never felt such elation. Yes, I was that kid stuck on a crowded airplane in Canada, with a huge smile on my face from pure excitement. Although everything at home was the same as how I left it, everything felt so new: the busy highways packed with cars, the Christmas lights glowing on the houses, the hugs from my family. It was such an incredible feeling to be back, it’s almost indescribable.

My first weekend home was a blur. I might have been suffering from jet lag, but I did not let that stop me. I did many of my favorite things: slept in my own bed, went shopping, watched some rom-coms, and ate some of my favorite foods (chicken parmesan and chocolate cake). It was probably one of the best weekends of my life.

Studying abroad was easily the most exciting thing that I have ever done. In my 3.5 months in Spain I learned Spanish, challenged myself, and saw (part of) the world. I could not have asked for a better experience. But, I also learned that Dorothy was right when she said that there is no place like home. Home is one place that will always welcome you back, no matter what. So, go travel (you might want to avoid JFK), have incredible experiences, see the world, but never forget to come home.