In light of recent events surrounding the UD campus life, many people have been asking me what I like to do to spend my time on the weekends.   To be honest, I personally have a wide range of interest of things I like to do.  From going to see plays, to grabbing dinner on Main Street, I try to spend my weekends with not just my books studying for my classes next week, but instead I choose to have some fun with my friends and see what is going on around campus.

As if you didn’t already know, many RSOs have different events on the weekends for students to go out and partake in.  However, my favorite RSO that is a pro at putting on weekend activities is SCPAB: the Student Centers Programming Advisory Board.  They are the people that are bringing everyone’s favorite red-headed singer, Ed Sheeran, to the Bob this Wednesday, and made my dreams come true by letting me meet the amazing Harry Shum, Jr. from Glee last semester.  Besides this, SCPAB is also in charge of showing films in the Trabant Theater every Wednesday and every weekend.

Each semester they also try to put on an outdoor movie event on the North Green, which just so happened to have been on September 13.  The movie shown was Monsters University, the prequel to Monsters, Inc. and one of my favorite new movies.  So, when I saw that it was playing this weekend I was so excited to go and begged my roommates to come see it with me even more when I found out it was being played outside under the stars!  I assumed there was going to be somewhat of a crowd, but the actual turnout was unlike anything I had ever seen.  At one point during the movie, I turned around to see and the green was packed.  It looked like one of the pictures from the Freshman Twilight Induction Ceremony where the green was swarmed with all of the freshmen.  The place was just a sea of blankets, people and popcorn!

Regardless of what had happened around campus earlier in the week, by Friday night, a vast majority of the school had gathered outside to watch and laugh along to a Disney movie. It almost makes me wish UD offered an Oozma Kappa fraternity, the one Mike and Sully must join to compete in the Scare Games in the film, where watching Disney movies was the only requirement! Yet, it still made me super proud and excited that even though part of our student body image may have been tainted a bit, it showed me that many of us still love to bring out our inner child, especially when Disney is concerned.

Hopefully, something similar to this can happen every weekend with the SCPAB Film Series. I know I can’t wait to see Despicable Me 2 when it comes on October 4th and 5th.  Who knows? Maybe a similar experience to Monsters University will result, too!

Hannah Tattersall