As some of you may have noticed, my weekly post didn’t happen last Friday (and I know, you were all traumatized, but don’t worry, I have returned!). The reason for my absence is actually the subject of this week’s post, so here it goes.

I have been a proud member of UD’s primary womens’ ensemble, the University Singers, under the direction of the magnificent Dr. Duane Cottrell since the first semester of my freshman year. Our repertoire consists of a variety of pieces, ranging from the classic French Impressionist Debussy all the way to songs with no real words in their lyrics, but lovely, rich textures, like Jenkins’ “Adiemus.” The challenge and diversity that come with being a member of Singers has kept me engaged throughout my experience with this fantastic group of women. This semester, we had the honour of being selected to perform at the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) convention in Hartford, Connecticut as the final stop on our two-day tour last Thursday and Friday.

the author in her choir garb

… of course, it didn’t feel like an honour when I was waking up at 6 a.m. on Thursday and dragging myself to catch the bus at the Amy E. DuPont building, but I and everyone else quickly got into the spirit of the trip once we were on the road.

We had a few stops on our tour before the NAfME conference, the first of which was a visit to West Windsor-Plainsboro High School in New Jersey to perform for their choir. Their enthusiasm and attention was, admittedly, surprising (considering my past experience with notoriously rude high school student audiences), but all the more appreciated. Following that performance, we made a stop at Westminster Choir College for a coaching session with the fantastic Dr. Amanda Quist. Finally, on Thursday night, we gave a performance in a beautiful chapel in Hartford with the Morris Knolls Chorale, of Morris Knolls High School in New Jersey.  Each performance increased our excitement to perform at NAfME, and finally, on Friday afternoon, we arrived at the convention center for our big performance.

The choir in performance

If I had to describe the twenty-five minute set in one word (and being an English major, that’s a very tough thing for me to do), the one I’d choose is surreal. All of our preparation, passion and perseverance came together in what I can only describe punfully as a beautifully orchestrated final product. I’m so proud to have been a part of this experience and a part of this brilliant choir.

~Claire Davanzo