Throughout this university, there are many different types of leaders. We have the traditional faculty leaders, RSO presidents, team captains and Greek boards. What is it that all of these people have in common? Why are THEY the leaders at this university? It’s sort of a difficult concept to explain when you think about it. Naturally, I would like to think that I am a leader at this university as I am an editor of this blog, on the student advisory board for the College of Arts & Sciences and the president of PRSSA. How did I get to those positions? Why did all of you take the extra step to apply for the Honors Program?

I came up with a few qualities that all leaders must have and grow to learn as they lead others.

Perseverance

Very often, people will try to shoot you down. Overcoming that first step sets you up for smooth sailing – for a while that is. If you want to prove yourself as a leader, speak up and make your ideas heard. Most of you are Honors students because you applied yourselves in high school and stood out. I know it may seem more difficult on a bigger scene, but find your niche and make yourself stand out here. If you get knocked down, keep trying. When people see that you’re a leader and that you want to do something worthwhile, they’ll nurture you into being a leader.

Courage

Leaders very often are not afraid to speak their mind. Granted, I’m not that type of leader, but I’m not afraid to showcase my skills. You can prove that you have the skills that it takes without being cocky or overconfident. Know what you’re good at and communicate that to people. You will be well-respected and people will naturally being to look to you for the answers.

Listening

Of course, leaders must know how to communicate well, but it is crucial that they listen as well. A leader cannot be a leader without a team. You can’t have a team without collaboration. In order to collaborate, everyone must work together, bounce ideas off of one another and make a plan. Leaders must be able to deliberate and make executive decisions all the while taking into consideration the needs of the group.

However, who says that leaders need to be in charge of an organized group? YOU can be a leader every day and I’m sure about 95% of you as Honors students, are. You show it in class, at work and in your various on-campus activities. All it takes is a little perseverance, courage and open ears.

Take it easy.

~Chelsey Rodowicz