This past summer, I worked for the University as an Orientation Leader. The NSO program not only provided me the best job I EVER had, it also showed me the extent of resources we have here on campus. I did not know about half of the programs UD has to offer here until I was trained to share it with freshmen. So whether you’re a freshmen or an up-and-coming senior, I’ve compiled a list of helpful hints to aid you while navigating your next school year.

1. Getting sick in college is different. Avoid it and learn how to take care of yourself if you do get sick.

We have the HENS program to get you fit, the Office of Student Wellness and Health Promotion to help you avoid getting sick, and finally the Student Health Center in case you do. Do you know how much our health center has to offer? Truly?
If you’re sick, just pop online and make an appointment to come in. Got a cold? They have cold care packages! Grab some soup at Perkins and relax at home- you’ll be healthy in no time.

2. With over 300 RSOs, you can and should try something. Even something new!

Forget the fact that joining an extra-curricular activity improves students academically and just think: IT’S FUN! The best decision I’ve made in college is to audition for my improv troupe, Riot Act. I love my troupe so much and all that we do. I also loved getting involved in the Honors program through the Freshmen Fellows program. I learned so much about the Honors program and how it works. Getting involved gives you skills and knowledge that you just don’t get in a classroom. Bonus: a guaranteed group of friends. Get involved and make those college memories.

3. Don’t be afraid of the big dogs

Do you think that President Harker has any idea who I am? No. BUT. He was giving the morning speech for NSO one day and I decided, “Hey. Just because he’s this extremely intelligent, busy, important man doesn’t mean I can’t talk to him.” So I joked around with him and he laughed. President Harker is a normal guy. Your Dean is a normal person as well. Eat at Walter’s Café and you might run into someone “important.” Strike up a conversation and make their day. They might make your day later on.

4. Go to Football games, paint your body, and lose your voice.

We got a new coach and the football players are extremely kind.

5. UDairy ice cream is a gift from God.

Eat it as often as you can.

6. The Office of Academic Enrichment wants to fight the academic battle with you- go to them for help! Seriously!

There are so many other things about the university I learned from NSO I wish I could include. However, it’s best that you learn some things on your own. That way, you can look back on what you did wrong, how you survived, and laugh at it the way I did my entire freshman year.

~Shannon Poulsen