Meet the Writing Fellows

******

Faith Bartell

Class: 2023
Major(s): Economics, Media Communication
Minor(s): English
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m an Executive Producer for the Biweekly Show, which is the best thing ever (watch us live every other Tuesday night!). I’m also an editor and writer for Her Campus, as well as a part of the Peer-to-Peer Marketing Team for UD Dining Services. In my free time, I love writing poetry and stand-up comedy to perform to myself in the mirror.
Favorite books and authors: The Great Gatsby and the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin are my absolute favorites. I recently read Untamed by Glennon Doyle, which was amazing. My idols are Mindy Kaling and Tina Fey — they are comedy-writing geniuses.
Advice to college writers: Trust yourself and your process, but always be open to revision — it’s how you truly learn and grow as a writer.
Vanessa Bein

Class: 2023
Major(s): Wildlife Ecology and Conservation
Minor(s): Art, Statistical Data Analytics
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Blue Hen Leadership Program, UD Wildlife Society, Yoga Club, working at UDairy, baking, painting, photography, and playing video/board games.
Favorite books and authors: Emma by Jane Austen, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer, The Zookeeper’s Wife by Diane Ackerman, and anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Advice to college writers: Writing is a process, so have patience and take time to prepare before you write! The more prepared you are in your research, thesis, and outline, the smoother the process will be. If you can also find a way to connect to the topic you are writing about, it will make the process all the more meaningful and successful.
Caroline Berger

Class: 2022
Major(s): Art History, Art Conservation
Minor(s): Chemistry, English
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m a part of the Rubber Chickens Improv Troupe as well as E-52 Student Theatre. I’m an Honors Community Fellow. Finally, I love hiking, painting, embroidery, cooking, and trying desperately to keep my houseplants alive!
Favorite books and authors: I’m a big fan of War and Peace (and any adaptations thereof). I’m very into the poetry of Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman. I love Dave Malloy’s plays and anything that Amy Sherman-Palladino writes for. Ann M. Martin and Shel Silverstein will always have a special place in my heart, as well.
Advice to college writers: There’s no set formula to writing. Aim to take your reader on a journey, rather than trying to follow a strict set of rules. Don’t be afraid to get a little weird – you can always go back and revise!
Annie Browne

Class: 2022
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): English, Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Lori’s Hands, Creative Mentoring, Yoga Club, UDaB, running, reading, baking, listening to good music, and spending time outside.
Favorite books and authors: The Book Thief – Markus Zusak, The Things They Carried – Tim O’Brien, The Giver of Stars – JoJo Moyes, Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
Advice to college writers: Writing is a process that is different for everyone! Do you prefer an outline or do you like to go with the flow? Do you like to write in silence or with music? Don’t be afraid to try new routines and find what works for you!
Katie Browne

Class: 2023
Major(s): Cognitive Science
Minor(s): Spanish, Psychology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: UDance, UDaB, Yoga Club, Delaware Diplomats, listening to country music, hiking, baking all day everyday, drinking iced coffee and binge watching the Great British Baking Show.
Favorite books and authors: The Nightingale – Kristen Hannah, Educated – Tara Westover, The Book Thief – Marcus Zusak
Advice to college writers: Try to write a little bit everyday! It’ll make writing a lot less overwhelming.
Kiara Cronin

Class: 2022
Major(s): International Relations, History
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: HenMUN, International Relations Club, reading, co-hosting a radio show on WVUD, European politics, creative writing, historical documentaries, bad reality television, iced coffee.
Favorite books and authors: Too many to name! But recently, I’ve loved “The Priory of the Orange Tree” by Samantha Shannon, “Say Nothing” by Patrick Radden Keefe, “I’ll Give You The Sun” by Jandy Nelson, “The Shock Doctrine” by Naomi Klein, “Good Omens” by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, and “Evicted” by Matthew Desmond.
Advice to college writers: Planning is your friend. The more work you do in the outlining and brainstorming stages, the better prepared you’ll be when it comes time to write the actual paper!
Allison Davis

Class: 2022
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s): Medical Diagnostics
Hobbies/interest/clubs: University of Delaware Marching Band, Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity, Lori’s Hands, UDAB
Favorite books and authors: To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee, Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn, Harry Potter Series, James Patterson novels
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone! Research a new topic, write in a new style, make yourself open to learn something new in the writing process!
Jillian Dolan

Class: 2023
Major(s): Biological Sciences, Liberal Studies
Minor(s): English
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m Vice President of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society and a member of Phi Delta Epsilon medical fraternity. I’m also involved in Lori’s Hands and HER Campus. I peer mentor introductory biology classes for incoming freshmen and partake in research at the Move2Learn Lab here at UD! In my free time I like to travel, go “down the shore”, read, and bake!
Favorite books and authors: Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins, John Steinbeck (the Grapes of Wrath is my personal favorite), Shakespeare plays, and Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
Advice to college writers: Say what you want to say in your writing and stick by it! I know writing may seem like a daunting task, but being able to focus on what you have to say and what you can contribute to the conversation will make writing a more liberating and fun experience!
Simon Glover

Class: 2022
Major(s): English
Minor(s): Dance, Global Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: The Swing Club of UD/ Dancing Lindy Hop, The Review, writing, and playing video games!
Favorite books and authors: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Advice to college writers: Don’t forget to include and take pride in your own personal voice, ideas, and style — it’s what makes your writing special and stand out.
Sam Haas

Class: 2023
Major(s): Neuroscience, Psychology
Minor(s): Sexuality and Gender Studies; English
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m a member of the UDrumline, so anything having to do with creating or absorbing music is a hobby of mine. I also love reading and binge-watching a good show, and I’ve gotten into daily journaling. I joined the Personality & Dysregulation Lab as a research associate because people fascinate and confuse me.
Favorite books and authors: The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, anything by Stephen King (especially Mr. Mercedes, the first book in the Bill Hodges trilogy), The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Advice to college writers: Write about what makes you happy. Of course it’s great to broaden your horizons and delve into unfamiliar topics, but it’s wonderful to be able to balance what you are told to write with what you want to write. Take what excites you and run with it, whether you intend to share what you create or keep it to yourself.
Megan Herrmann

Class: 2023
Major(s): Elementary Education with a concentration in Special Education
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus I am involved in the Blue Hen Ambassador Tour Guide program and am involved in a co-ed service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega. I also enjoy hiking, baking, and watching sports!
Favorite books and authors: Sharp Objects and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, Harry Potter series, and Educated by Tara Westover
Advice to college writers: Don’t feel like your first draft needs to be perfect. Try your best to put your thoughts down on paper, and then you can go back and revise it later. It is always easier to edit what you have than it is to start from scratch.
Leah Hetrick

Class: 2022
Major(s): European History, Ancient Greek and Roman Studies
Minor(s): Anthropology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Eta Sigma Phi, undergraduate research, volunteering in the archaeology lab
Favorite books and authors: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Edgar Allen Poe’s short stories
Advice to college writers: If you’re having a lot of trouble coming up with an idea for an assignment, take a step back from your work and relax for a bit. You can’t have a “eureka!” moment if you’ve fried your brain!
Kristina Holsapple

Class: 2023
Major(s): Computer Science
Minor(s): English, Disability Studies, and Human Development & Family Sciences
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Reading, crocheting, journaling, and getting outside with my dog, Maisie. 
Favorite books and authors: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing and its sequel A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor by Hank Green and The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. 
Advice to college writers: Believe in everything you write. It is yours. Find a balance between pride in your voice and your ability to grow as a writer. 
Sunyu Kang

Class: 2023
Major(s): English, Biological Sciences
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love hiking, playing the piano, exploring music, and taking pictures of my dog! I also enjoy undergraduate research, volunteering at hospitals, and being a peer mentor for BISC207/208.
Favorite books and authors: The Phantom Tollbooth – Norton Juster, Pachinko – Min Jin Lee, A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens, and all things Jane Austen.
Advice to college writers: There’s no right or wrong when it comes to writing—everyone works differently. Find what works best for you!
Teddy Lambert

Class: 2022
Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Minor(s): Sustainable Energy Technology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Vice President of UD Trap and Skeet, Skiing up and down the East Coast, Supporting Small Local Coffee Shops, Running Spartan Races, Jamming to Indie Music and Bob Marley, and Enjoying the Outdoors
Favorite books and authors: Everything Pierce Brown, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia hunter, The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo, and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Advice to college writers: Your greatest asset as a college writer is your ability to weave your own narrative into the story that you compose. Don’t be afraid to let your voice shine through your words, it is more important than you realize!
Elisa Macera

Class: 2023
Major(s): Psychology
Minor(s): Disability Studies, Medical Social Services
Hobbies/interest/clubs: In addition to being a Writing Fellow, I am on the iBuddy Council where I work with international students to help them adjust to life in Newark and at UD. I am an avid piano player, baker, drawer, and am trying my hand at guitar and stained glass making.
Favorite books and authors: Ever since high school, Find Me Unafraid by Jessica Posner and Kennedy Odede has been my all time favorite book, with Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller being a close second. I have recently been exploring the works of Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters, and can always count on Sally Rooney to provide an enthralling read.
Advice to college writers: Find an aspect of the prompt or topic that interests you and try to connect to that. Pieces that have been written with interest and passion are so much more enjoyable to write (and read!). Even in prompts that you are completely uninterested in, try to explore ideas and topics that you can connect with because this increased interest is then translated into the writing.
Ryan McCune

Class: 2022
Major(s): Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Photography, hiking, fishing, crocheting, Geology Club, American Society of Civil Engineers, Phi Sigma Pi
Favorite books and authors: Some of my favorite books are Seven Eves, Eragon, Mr. Mercedes, and the Harry Potter series. Two of my favorite authors are Stephen King and Clive Cussler.
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to explore your writing style and really bring yourself into your writing.
Ahila Moorthy

Class: 2023
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): History
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Running, American Chemical Society, and being a TA
Favorite books and authors: My favorite book is probably the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho because it draws on a lot of fundamental themes in life to make an interesting YA novel.
Advice to college writers: Writing is unique in its ability to manifest differently based on a person’s thoughts, emotions, and viewpoints. Capitalizing on the uniqueness of oneself is what makes some of the most interesting and well-written papers.
Maria Murray

Class: 2022
Major(s): Political Science
Minor(s): Public Policy
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy reading, spending time outside, and staying updated with the news and current events. I am also involved in the Honors Planning Board, Honors Engaging in Neighborhood Service, and undergraduate research.
Favorite books and authors: There are a lot of books that interest me, but a few are 1984 by George Orwell, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and the Hunger Games Trilogy.
Advice to college writers: College writing can be different compared to your previous writing experiences, so be open to new methods and styles. If you feel overwhelmed or unsure of an assignment, talk to your professor or writing fellow. We have been through it before too and are here to help!
Patrick O’Neill

Class: 2022
Major(s): Computer Science, English
Minor(s): Math and (possibly) Ancient Greek and Roman Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Riot Act long-form improv troupe and E-52 Theater Company, Tau Kappa Epsilon, and Eta Sigma Phi. I like charging on the basketball court, teaching machines to learn, and rewatching Forgetting Sarah Marshall on a nightly basis.
Favorite books and authors: The Martian Chronicles (Ray Bradbury), I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou), Lord of the Rings – hard cover (Jar Jar Tolkien)
Advice to college writers: There is no such thing as a bad idea, only small thoughts that haven’t been developed yet, so if you’re going to make a ridiculous mistake, make it big and do it in the comfort of your first draft.
Elizabeth Patrick

Class: 2022
Major(s): Health Behavior Science
Minor(s): Public Health and Global Health
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Leadership position with InterVarsity Christian fellowship, involved with Delaware Diplomats, passionate about anything global health and health inequalities
Favorite books and authors: Most recent favorite book – Where the Crawdads Sing, favorite author -Paul Farmer
Advice to college writers: Write about your passions and you will produce your best work!
Sydney Peterson

Class: 2022
Major(s): Cognitive Science
Minor(s): Disability Studies, Human Development and Family Studies, History
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am a member of NSSLHA, UDaB, ASL Club, and I work as a research assistant for TELL Lab. I enjoy being active and participating in Club Triathlon. In my free time, I like to read, listen to music, play sports, and hang out with friends.
Favorite books and authors: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult, Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan, David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
Advice to college writers: Go into each assignment with a game plan. Think about your goal, main points, and your support, then organize! Having a thoughtful plan will set you up for success in your writing.
Amanda Reed

Class: 2023
Major(s): English, Spanish Studies
Minor(s): Comparative Literature; Race, Culture, and Equity in Education
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love to hike, kayak, and cook. On campus, I’m a Community Engagement Scholar, Delaware Diplomat, ESL instructor for ESL-on-the-Go, and the founder of LASER (a new mentoring program on campus). I also love to play intramurals (dodgeball, volleyball, etc.).
Favorite books and authors: The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman, The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, and Tell Me How It Ends by Valeria Luiselli.
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to deviate from the process or style of writing that you have always known. Be flexible as you learn to adapt to college writing and ask for help when you need it from your peers, professors, and of course your Writing Fellows 🙂
Stephanie Ross

Class: 2022
Major(s): Mechanical Engineering
Minor(s): Sustainable Energy Technology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Mechanical Engineering Student Squad, Honors Program Student Advisory Council, music, writing
Favorite books and authors: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, But Beautiful: A Book About Jazz by Geoff Dyer
Advice to college writers: The best thing you can do as a college writer is to write in a way that only you can. Let your writing be a reflection of yourself and how you connect to the subject of your paper. Worry less about sounding as formal as possible, and instead challenge yourself to be more expressive in academic writing.
Mina Rulis

Class: 2023
Major(s): International Relations, Computer Science
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Ballet, baking/cooking, running, painting, collecting stationary, making playlists, coffee shops
Favorite books and authors: To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Dune by Frank Herbert, Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass
Advice to college writers: Write down all of your ideas, nothing needs to be perfect the first time you put a thought into words! Refinement can come through further drafting, so get out anything you might want to say when you start without holding yourself back.
Anna Sargent

Class: 2022
Major(s): Political Science, History
Minor(s): English, Legal Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Swimming, running and reading
Favorite books and authors: Circe, A Man Called Ove, and The Great Alone. I also love all things Stephen King.
Advice to college writers: No writing is bad writing! College is the time to find your own style and improve upon it!
Eliana Schulman

Class: 2023
Major(s): Psychology
Minor(s): Human Development and Family Sciences
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy singing, acting, walking outside, watching TV, and spending time with my family and friends. On campus, I’m a research assistant at the Close Relationships & Health Lab, a peer support specialist at Sean’s House, and the president of Gesher, which is the Shabbat and holiday board associated with Hillel.
Favorite books and authors: I love the Divergent series by Veronica Roth, and I also greatly enjoyed 1984 by George Orwell, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and Passenger by Alexandra Bracken.
Advice to college writers: Writing can seem intimidating and boring at first, but take your time with it, and find your own voice to make it unique. Remember that writing is a process, so brainstorm, outline, write, take a break, revise, etc. until you have written something of which you are truly proud.
Gabrielle Sherba

Class: 2022
Major(s): Honors Dean’s Scholar, majors in English and Sociology
Minor(s): Women’s Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am currently an SGA judicial senator, and find myself almost overly politically active (protest, petitioning, and pondering). Aside from that, I love painting, yoga, and general mindfulness practice.
Favorite books and authors: A must: The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I also love Cane by Jean Toomer and The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Some of my favorite authors include Toni Morrison, James Baldwin, and Colson Whitehead.
Advice to college writers: If you’re having a hard time getting a piece started, spend time alone with your thoughts. Usually there’s something interesting in there if you let your mind wander and be creative.
Manju Sivasankar

Class: 2023
Major(s): Biomedical Engineering
Minor(s): French
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy reading and playing piano in my free time. I also do research at the Human Robotics Lab. At UD, I’m involved in Orthotics and Prosthetics Club, Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), Ambassadors of Biomedical Engineering, Honors Engaging in Neighborhood Service (HENS), and E-52.
Favorite books and authors: I’m an avid reader, so I honestly love so many books it’s hard to choose my favorites, but here are a few: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak, Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther, and of course the entire Harry Potter Series.
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to voice your opinions in your writing. Use college writing as a way to showcase your perspective while refining other writing skills. Even though your primary goal should be to address the prompt your professor provided, you can still inject your own voice and point of view throughout the piece.
Ashley Steele

Class: 2022
Major(s): English
Minor(s): Sexualities and Gender Studies, Women’s Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Running Club President, Zumba Club, Kindness Counts Club, Reading, writing, running, grabbing boba, making playlists
Favorite books and authors: Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann, The Beauty of Your Face by Sahar Mustafah, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett, Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman, Rebel of The Sands by Alwyn Hamilton, the entire Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Advice to college writers: It’s okay to take time and discover who you are as a writer. With every single assignment and professor you experience, you will learn something new about yourself as a student and as a writer. You won’t dominate every single writing assignment, but that doesn’t take away from your quality as a writer. Make sure to ask questions and to be open to any and all feedback – you can’t grow if you don’t let people help you. We can’t do it alone!
Alex Stone

Class: 2023
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s): Spanish for Healthcare
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy volunteering as an English as a Second Language tutor and being an active member in HENS. I also like to spend my time writing blog posts for the Honors 186 South College Blog. You can also find me spending my free time hiking, cooking, baking and reading.
Favorite books and authors: The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, anything by Leigh Bardugo, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, and The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to start writing. It may seem intimidating to get those first few words down on the page because you feel they need to be just right. However, first drafts are all about working through ideas and will most likely not be perfect. Remember, the revision process is there for a reason, so use it to your advantage and take the time to learn where you can improve as a writer.
Kelsey Wagner

Class: 2023
Major(s): History, Three Language (Spanish, German, Ancient Greek)
Minor(s): Ancient Greek and Roman Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: The Review, playing the violin, attempting to write poetry, learning new languages, and questioning the way we write history.
Favorite books and authors: The Awakening by Kate Chopin, Anything by Kurt Vonnegut, Harry Potter (naturally), The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, also Keats
Advice to college writers: Stop overthinking and just write. You can always go back and change what you wrote, but getting the first sentence down is absolutely essential for inducing the flow that turns thought into writing.
Daria Willis

Class: 2023
Major(s): Neuroscience, Liberal Studies: Medical Scholars Program
Minor(s): Spanish, Sociology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Fundraising Chair for Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity. I’m also a member of several other UD clubs including Strong Like A Girl and Yoga Club. I do neuroscience research here at UD studying early-life conditions that might lead to learning disabilities. In my free time I enjoy yoga/dance/pilates, hiking (anything that gets me moving really!), reading, and arts & crafts.
Favorite books and authors: The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt) 1984 (George Orwell) My Sister’s Keeper (Jodi Picoult) Pet Sematary (Stephen King) (although this is an ever changing list)
Advice to college writers: You don’t need to stick to what you learned in high school. College is the place to branch out! Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone.