Meet the Writing Fellows

Ari August

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biological Sciences; Liberal Arts of Medical Studies
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love hiking and doing anything outdoors, I’m involved with Healthcare Theatre at UD as well as E-52 Student Theatre, PhiDeltaEpsilon Premedical Fraternity, Honors Integrated Workshop Leader, Munson Fellow, and avid hammocker on the Harrington Turf.
Favorite books and authors: I’ve been on a Malcolm Gladwell kick lately so that’s been my author of choice whenever I have time to read but part of what I love about taking literature-based courses is that they require I find time to read assigned selections which broadens my horizons from whatever author I’m currently binging.
Advice to college writers: Get to know your professors well right off the bat by attending office hours and spitballing ideas for assignments; they’re here to help you and the better you understand their expectations the more successful you’ll be! 🙂
Edward Benner

Class: 2021
Major(s): English Education
Minor(s): Art History, Women and Gender Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Executive Editor of Main Street Journal, WVUD Basement DJ, record store clerk, avid backpacker, starry-eyed poet, film and museum enthusiast, Little Goat aficionado, daydreamer
Favorite books and authors: The Stranger by Albert Camus, On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong, Moby Dick by Herman Melville, Temperance Creek by Pamela Royes, M Train by Patti Smith, Songs of Innocence and of Experience by William Blake, Book of Longing by Leonard Cohen, Book of Hours by Rainer Maria Rilke, Henry IV, Pt.1/ Henry V by William Shakespeare (or any Shakespeare for that matter), The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Advice to college writers: Be resolute and trusting of your reasoning; ideas are your own, valid seedlings. Developing your voice and passion requires flexing, oftentimes, unused creative and mechanical musculature — writing is a process only unlocked by practice!
Caroline Berger

Class: 2022
Major(s): Art History, Art Conservation
Minor(s): Chemistry, English
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m a part of the Rubber Chickens Improv Troupe as well as E-52 Student Theatre. I’m an Honors Community Fellow. Finally, I love hiking, painting, embroidery, cooking, and trying desperately to keep my houseplants alive!
Favorite books and authors: I’m a big fan of War and Peace (and any adaptations thereof). I’m very into the poetry of Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman. I love Dave Malloy’s plays and anything that Amy Sherman-Palladino writes for. Ann M. Martin and Shel Silverstein will always have a special place in my heart, as well.
Advice to college writers: There’s no set formula to writing. Aim to take your reader on a journey, rather than trying to follow a strict set of rules. Don’t be afraid to get a little weird – you can always go back and revise!
Annie Browne

Class: 2022
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): English, Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Lori’s Hands, Creative Mentoring, Yoga Club, UDaB, running, reading, baking, listening to good music, and spending time outside.
Favorite books and authors: The Book Thief – Markus Zusak, The Things They Carried – Tim O’Brien, The Giver of Stars – JoJo Moyes, Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
Advice to college writers: Writing is a process that is different for everyone! Do you prefer an outline or do you like to go with the flow? Do you like to write in silence or with music? Don’t be afraid to try new routines and find what works for you!
Chelsea Caplinger

Class: 2021
Major(s): Political Science
Minor(s): Legal Studies, Public Policy
Hobbies/interest/clubs: At UD, I am actively involved in the Mock Trial team and have been their treasurer for the past two years. I have been a barista for about 4 years now, and consider my love for coffee a hobby.
Favorite books and authors: Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite authors, I particularly love his play The Importance of Being Earnest and his book The Picture of Dorian Gray. Some of my favorite books include The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner, milk and honey by Rupi Kaur, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Advice to college writers: While the goal is to improve your writing skills in college, be sure to work towards your own personal style. Pick topics that fascinate you, and not just topics that will guarantee you an A. Be sure to write material that you know your teacher will enjoy, but don’t let this prohibit you from thinking outside the box and exploring new areas and topics of writing you felt too restricted to previously explore. Writing can be stress relieving, thought provoking, and a challenge all at the same time, and having a balance of each of these is what will keep you sane and not too overwhelmed in your college courses.
Brynn Chieffo

Class: 2021
Major(s): English, Linguistics
Minor(s): Psychology, Comparative Literature, Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Editor-in-Chief of the Main Street Journal, UD Swing Club, UDaB, reading outside, witchcraft, baking
Favorite books and authors: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley; Turtles All the Way Down by John Green; Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi; anything by Jane Austen, Rick Riordan, or Kurt Vonnegut
Advice to college writers: Always look for a way to connect the assigned topic to one of your academic or personal interests. It will make the writing process a much more enjoyable and valuable use of your time.
Basia Chrobot

Class: 2021
Major(s): Nutrition & Medical Sciences
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus, I volunteer as an EMT for the University of Delaware Emergency Care Unit, assist in research at the Move to Learn Lab, and am also a peer mentor for NTDT103! In my free time, you can find me taking care of my plants, rearranging my room for the millionth time, binge-watching Hell’s Kitchen, and trying out new recipes!
Favorite books and authors: Happy Accidents: Serendipity in Modern Medical Breakthroughs by Morton Myers
Advice to college writers: When making a decision on what to write about, find a topic you could have a conversation about, or an angle that interests you. Being interested in your topic (or finding a way to make it interesting for you) will make the writing process much smoother and will get you more invested in the quality of your writing.
Kiera Cronin

Class: 2022
Major(s): International Relations, History
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: HenMUN, International Relations Club, reading, co-hosting a radio show on WVUD, European politics, creative writing, historical documentaries, bad reality television, iced coffee.
Favorite books and authors: Too many to name! But recently, I’ve loved “The Priory of the Orange Tree” by Samantha Shannon, “Say Nothing” by Patrick Radden Keefe, “I’ll Give You The Sun” by Jandy Nelson, “The Shock Doctrine” by Naomi Klein, “Good Omens” by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, and “Evicted” by Matthew Desmond.
Advice to college writers: Planning is your friend. The more work you do in the outlining and brainstorming stages, the better prepared you’ll be when it comes time to write the actual paper!
Gillian Crawford

Class: 2021
Major(s): Nursing
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: UDance, Club Volleyball, weight lifting, intramural anything, hiking, reading, painting, and being outside as much as possible.
Favorite books and authors: George RR Martin, Stephen King, The Harry Potter Series.
Advice to college writers: Focus on developing your writing ability, not just the draft in front of you. It is a life-long skill!
Allison Davis

Class: 2022
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s): Medical Diagnostics
Hobbies/interest/clubs: University of Delaware Marching Band, Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity, Lori’s Hands, UDAB
Favorite books and authors: To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee, Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn, Harry Potter Series, James Patterson novels
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone! Research a new topic, write in a new style, make yourself open to learn something new in the writing process!
Noah Dolan

Class: 2021
Major(s): History
Minor(s): Philosophy, English, and Aerospace Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Baseball, Basketball, Politics
Favorite books and authors: The Old Man and the Sea / the Harry Potter series / Hamlet / “Master Harold” … and The Boys / Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency / Plus, I will read just about anything Brandon Sanderson writes.
Advice to college writers: Due dates are closer than they appear; the sooner you start, the easier things will be down the road.
Kat Filliben

Class: 2021
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): Human Development and Family Studies, History
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus I’m involved in Occupational Therapy Club, Lori’s Hands, Buddies for a Brighter Future, Gamma Sigma Sigma, and mentoring at Brookside Elementary. I’m a Community Engagement Ambassador, Community Engagement Scholar, and an RA for the SLAM Lab. I love reading, Netflix, and volunteering (especially with kids!).
Favorite books and authors: The Harry Potter series – JK Rowling, The Things They Carried – Tim O’Brien, The Book Thief – Markus Zusak, John Green’s books, Throne of Glass – Sarah J. Maas
Advice to college writers: Don’t get stuck on the first draft. Trying to make it perfect on your first try is going to needlessly stress you out. I’ve found writing to be the most natural when I’m having fun with it, and not intent on perfection. Revisions and drafting are a part of the writing process, so allow yourself enough time.
Roxanna Fouladi

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): Spanish for Healthcare
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus, I am a Chemistry Department TA and Researcher in the Rozovsky Group. An ideal day would be hiking, listening to podcasts, and reading in my hammock.
Favorite books and authors: My current favorite authors are Oliver Sacks and Haruki Murakami.
Advice to college writers: Try to give yourself extra time while working on lengthy writing assignments. Writing can be exhausting, and sometimes it helps to step away for a few days and refresh your eyes before approaching the draft again!
Cally Gant

Class: 2021
Major(s): Political Science Education
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am involved in HenMUN and am a member of Pi Beta Phi sorority. I enjoy traveling, staying active, and reading up on current events in my free time.
Favorite books and authors: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Les Misérables by Victor Hugo, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, and 1984 by George Orwell.
Advice to college writers: Don’t doubt yourself or your writing. You always have something to say so say it and stand by it! Be proud of your work!
Ananya Garg

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s): Spanish for Healthcare
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy volunteering at hospitals and shadowing doctors, painting, and exploring music. I am a member of the Phi Delta Epsilon medical fraternity and involved with UDaB and UDance.
Favorite books and authors: Book Thief – Markus Zusak, To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee, Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
Advice to college writers: Throughout college I have learned it’s important to venture outside of my comfort zone and use new writing styles since I was very accustomed to using formats that I was taught in high school. I have also learned that writing about topics that I am passionate about and interested in makes writing essays much easier and more enjoyable. Everyone’s writing process is different and it simply takes time and multiple assignments to find what works for you.
Simon Glover

Class: 2022
Major(s): English
Minor(s): Dance, Global Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: The Swing Club of UD/ Dancing Lindy Hop, The Review, writing, and playing video games!
Favorite books and authors: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Advice to college writers: Don’t forget to include and take pride in your own personal voice, ideas, and style — it’s what makes your writing special and stand out.
Neil Godbole

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biomedical Engineering
Minor(s): English
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Reading (fantasy, science fiction, comic books), watching lots of TV and movies, playing video games (basically anything nerdy!). I am also a tour guide for UD, and I have been an undergraduate research assistant.
Favorite books and authors: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
Advice to college writers: Always try to answer the prompt to the best of your ability, but try to have fun with whatever you are writing too!
Leah Hetrick

Class: 2022
Major(s): European History, Ancient Greek and Roman Studies
Minor(s): Anthropology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Eta Sigma Phi, undergraduate research, volunteering in the archaeology lab
Favorite books and authors: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Edgar Allen Poe’s short stories
Advice to college writers: If you’re having a lot of trouble coming up with an idea for an assignment, take a step back from your work and relax for a bit. You can’t have a “eureka!” moment if you’ve fried your brain!
Amylia Hoos

Class: 2021
Major(s): Physics, Agriculture and Natural Resources
Minor(s): Wildlife Ecology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m a member of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club, UD Swing, Society of Physics Students, and Society of Composers at UD. I also enjoy going to concerts, hiking/backpacking, yoga, gardening, and creating small explosions in my kitchen.
Favorite books and authors: The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, Roald Dahl, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.
Advice to college writers: Don’t wait til the last minute, but if you do, don’t rush the process too much.
Teddy Lambert

Class: 2022
Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Minor(s): Sustainable Energy Technology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Vice President of UD Trap and Skeet, Skiing up and down the East Coast, Supporting Small Local Coffee Shops, Running Spartan Races, Jamming to Indie Music and Bob Marley, and Enjoying the Outdoors
Favorite books and authors: Everything Pierce Brown, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia hunter, The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo, and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Advice to college writers: Your greatest asset as a college writer is your ability to weave your own narrative into the story that you compose. Don’t be afraid to let your voice shine through your words, it is more important than you realize!
Carly Liberatore

Class: 2021
Major(s): Medical Diagnostics
Minor(s): Biology, Spanish for healthcare
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus, I teach yoga for the yoga club and participate in the Yes U Can club where I assist a woman with multiple sclerosis with her workouts at the Little Bob. My hobbies include reading on the beach, listening to good music, and cheering on any Philly sports team!
Favorite books and authors: The Last Lecture, The Pact, Tuesdays with Morrie, and Big Little Lies!
Advice to college writers: My advice is to not be afraid to try new things in writing and stray away from the traditional five paragraph essay format. I encourage students to let their own voice shine through their writing whenever possible and to seek out help from peers, writing fellows, or professors to help them become better writers!
Ryan McCune

Class: 2022
Major(s): Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Photography, hiking, fishing, crocheting, Geology Club, American Society of Civil Engineers, Phi Sigma Pi
Favorite books and authors: Some of my favorite books are Seven Eves, Eragon, Mr. Mercedes, and the Harry Potter series. Two of my favorite authors are Stephen King and Clive Cussler.
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to explore your writing style and really bring yourself into your writing.
Camila Moreno

Class: 2021
Major(s): Marketing and Global Enterprise Management
Minor(s): Italian
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am a Teaching Assistant for Marketing Research and a member of Women in Business. I enjoy listening to music, painting, traveling (especially to Colombia), reading, doing yoga, journaling, spending time outside (preferably at the beach), sushi, matcha lattes, and any kind of desserts (most essential part of any meal, in my opinion).
Favorite books and authors: Hush Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick, The Hunger Games series, The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.
Advice to college writers: Understand that writing is not always going to be easy- it is meant to be challenging! But with this in mind, also have confidence in yourself and in your abilities as a writer and as a scholar. Have fun with it, embrace the good and the not-so-good, and work with it. Take these classes as great opportunities to hone your writing and communication skills: these are both extremely important not only for your college career but also beyond.
Joe Mullen

Class: 2021
Major(s): Economics, Finance
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Lerner Ambassador, DJ on WVUD, Music Production Club, politics, sports, and art
Favorite books and authors: HST, Kafka, Nietzsche, Poe, Dylan. Catch-22, White Noise, Inferno (Dante), The Sun Also Rises, The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones
Advice to college writers: Write to express yourself, not to get a grade. The more natural the words feel, the better. Your writing should say something, evoke an emotion or two, not hide and be forgotten. Also, don’t enter a writing-intensive course assuming that it will be the worst experience of your life–it may end up ranking slightly higher than that with the right attitude.
Maria Murray

Class: 2022
Major(s): Political Science
Minor(s): Public Policy
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy reading, spending time outside, and staying updated with the news and current events. I am also involved in the Honors Planning Board, Honors Engaging in Neighborhood Service, and undergraduate research.
Favorite books and authors: There are a lot of books that interest me, but a few are 1984 by George Orwell, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and the Hunger Games Trilogy.
Advice to college writers: College writing can be different compared to your previous writing experiences, so be open to new methods and styles. If you feel overwhelmed or unsure of an assignment, talk to your professor or writing fellow. We have been through it before too and are here to help!
Elizabeth Patrick

Class: 2022
Major(s): Health Behavior Science
Minor(s): Public Health and Global Health
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Leadership position with InterVarsity Christian fellowship, involved with Delaware Diplomats, passionate about anything global health and health inequalities
Favorite books and authors: Most recent favourite book – Where the Crawdads Sing, favourite author -Paul Farmer
Advice to college writers: Write about your passions and you will produce your best work!
Sydney Peterson

Class: 2022
Major(s): Cognitive Science
Minor(s): Disability Studies, Human Development and Family Studies, History
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am a member of NSSLHA, UDaB, ASL Club, and I work as a research assistant for TELL Lab. I enjoy being active and participating in Club Triathlon. In my free time, I like to read, listen to music, play sports, and hang out with friends.
Favorite books and authors: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult, Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan, David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
Advice to college writers: Go into each assignment with a game plan. Think about your goal, main points, and your support, then organize! Having a thoughtful plan will set you up for success in your writing.
Stephanie Ross

Class: 2022
Major(s): Mechanical Engineering
Minor(s): Sustainable Energy Technology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Mechanical Engineering Student Squad, Honors Program Student Advisory Council, music, writing
Favorite books and authors: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, But Beautiful: A Book About Jazz by Geoff Dyer
Advice to college writers: The best thing you can do as a college writer is to write in a way that only you can. Let your writing be a reflection of yourself and how you connect to the subject of your paper. Worry less about sounding as formal as possible, and instead challenge yourself to be more expressive in academic writing.
Gabrielle Sherba

Class: 2022
Major(s): Honors Dean’s Scholar, majors in English and Sociology
Minor(s): Women’s Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am currently an SGA judicial senator, and find myself almost overly politically active (protest, petitioning, and pondering). Aside from that, I love painting, yoga, and general mindfulness practice.
Favorite books and authors: A must: The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I also love Cane by Jean Toomer and The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Some of my favorite authors include Toni Morrison, James Baldwin, and Colson Whitehead.
Advice to college writers: If you’re having a hard time getting a piece started, spend time alone with your thoughts. Usually there’s something interesting in there if you let your mind wander and be creative.
Emily Stuebing

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Genetic Counseling, English, Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am a UDaB Site leader, Sexual Offense Support victim advocate, Event planner for TEDx talks at UD, and Writing Fellow (of course!). I enjoy swimming, reading, journaling, traveling, hiking, finding the best coffee shops, eating Roots, and hanging out with my friends.
Favorite books and authors: One of my favorite classics is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and more recently I have enjoyed Educated by Tara Westover and A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and ask for help. Also, use writing as a way to discover your passions and interests. Find something that motivates you to write!
Justine Tarsillo

Class: 2021
Major(s): Pre-veterinary, Animal Biosciences & Agriculture and Natural Resources
Minor(s): Chemistry, Insect Ecology and Conservation
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am involved in Animal Science Club, Pre-Vet Club, PROUD, Yoga Club, Vida Volunteer Club, Scientistas, undergraduate research, and Ag Ambassadors.
Favorite books and authors: The 100 series, The Mortal Instruments Series, Harry Potter Series
Advice to college writers: You can never have too many drafts! In order to improve your writing, you must revise, revise, revise. Don’t forget to include your peers in the editing process as well; a second, fresh pair of eyes will often catch errors that the writer did not.
Kat Warner

Class: 2021
Major(s): Environmental Science
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Impact Dance Company (dancer and treasurer), Blue Hen Ambassador (Tour Guide), love to read just about anything fiction, spending time outside (hiking, swimming, biking, kayaking), listening to music/playing it on the piano, painting, traveling, the ocean, love to cook/bake!
Favorite books and authors: Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Life of Pi by Yann Martel, DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan and so many more!
Advice to college writers: Try to twist the topic of your paper into something that interests you even a little bit because it will make the writing so much more enjoyable and natural.
Alexa Yuen

Class: 2021
Major(s): Exercise Science
Minor(s): Biology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’ve been involved with UDaB, The Big Event, and tutoring through the OAE on campus. I also enjoy hiking and climbing, intramural volleyball, baking, and traveling.
Favorite books and authors: John Green, Kate Morton, Brené Brown, The Book Thief – Markus Zusak, Reincarnation Blues – Michael Poore, I Wrote This for You – Iain S. Thomas
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to try different styles of writing and to insert your own voice and ideas! Ask for help or a second pair of eyes to look over your work if you need it, there are so many resources available on campus. Draft, draft, draft.
Stella Zhao

Class: 2021
Major(s): Neuroscience, Biological Sciences
Minor(s): Global Studies with Language
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy befriending new people, drinking (more like burning my tongue) on hot tea, eating an unhealthy amount of cereal, and collecting stationery. I am involved in undergraduate research, general chem tutoring, the World Scholars Program Committee, and Nu Rho Psi Honors Society
Favorite books and authors: The Kite Runner, Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Chronicle of a Blood Merchant, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Advice to college writers: Please take advantage of your resources (aka your professors and your writing fellows)! Writing can be a challenging endeavor, but it is also a rewarding process that allows for self-expression and sharpening those critical thinking skills. We are here to guide you in the right direction and to help you communicate what you most want to say in your assignments!