Meet the Writing Fellows

Tori Alves

Class: 2025
Major(s): Wildlife Ecology and Conservation
Minor(s): Statistical Data Analytics
Hobbies/interest/clubs: The Environmental Justice Project, Phi Sigma Pi, reading, running, cooking
Favorite books and authors: Mary E. Pearson, “Lord of the Rings”
Advice to college writers: Write as often as possible!
Ella Andretta

Class: 2024
Major(s): Psychology and Cognitive Science
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Drawing, painting, reading, volleyball, crochet
Favorite books and authors: The Silent Patient
Advice to college writers: Don’t stress yourself out. Everyone starts drafts differently, there is no right or wrong way. Take a breath, put some words on the page, and try to enjoy the process 🙂
Mike Axiotes

Class: 2024
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): N/A
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am passionate about synthetic organic chemistry research. At UD, I work in the Mary P. Watson Group to create novel chemical reactions that streamline the assembly of complex pharmaceutical targets. I also am a member of the Chemistry Department’s Allies for a Culture of Inclusive Diversity (ACID) Committee. I enjoy trying new food destinations, coffee, sports video games, playing with new AI programs, meditation, writing amateur raps, and journaling.
Favorite books and authors: Walden by Henry David Thoreau; Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut; 1984 by George Orwell; Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan
Advice to college writers: The hardest part about writing is consistent practice. Develop a simple writing routine and don’t overthink what you are writing about. Just write!
Olivia Blau

Class: 2024
Major(s): International Relations
Minor(s): Legal studies and French
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Surfing, baking, reading and SOS at UD
Favorite books and authors: The Hunger Games Series and Gillian Flynn
Advice to college writers: Write a bad first draft! You’ll realize it’s actually not as bad as you think and it’ll help you get started on your assignment.
Brandon Cangialosi

Class: 2024
Major(s): Political Science and Philosophy
Minor(s): Legal Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy reading in my free time, working out, playing video games, listening to music, and lately, baking various breads and making pizza.
Favorite books and authors: My favorite books of all time are likely the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Authors whose work I enjoy are Hemingway, Steven King, Arthur C. Clarke, and Tolstoy.
Advice to college writers: Although you might inevitably procrastinate as many of us do, try your best not to. Even if all you manage to do is write down a rough outline of a paper or just an introduction, it will be helpful in the long run.
Brooke Donahue

Class: 2025
Major(s): Cognitive Science (PPSLP)
Minor(s): Disability Studies, Human Development & Family Sciences
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m a NSSLHA member and a Research Assistant at the ARO Lab on campus. I enjoy spending time outside, finding/listening to new music, going to the gym, and crocheting! I will also never say no to getting take-out.
Favorite books and authors: Some all-time favorites include Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Verity by Colleen Hoover and The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood are more recent favorites.
Advice to college writers: Writing is a process but there are so many ways to go about it. Use each writing experience to find what works best for you and to learn something! Discovering who you are as a writer will lead you to improve and achieve more than you know!
Kassy Donohoe

Class: 2024
Major(s): Pre-Veterinary Medicine
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love discovering new podcasts and listening to audiobooks on my walks around campus. I also enjoy fitness and finding new ways of staying active each day! I am a former Munson Fellow, and I am currently involved in Animal Science Club, Delta Alpha Pi, and individual tutoring with OAE.
Favorite books and authors: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, and The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.
Advice to college writers: Try not to stress about finalizing your paper as you start to write it. You don’t have to start the writing process at the introduction or by writing fully-formed sentences. Write down ideas as they come, and start formatting your paper as it develops. Remember that your first draft is just that – a draft!
Caitlin Fiore

Class: 2024
Major(s): Environmental Science, Wildlife Ecology and Conservation
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: University of Delaware Marching Band, gardening, reading, playing/listening to music, crocheting
Favorite books and authors: Eragon (Christopher Paolini), The Stormlight Archive series (Brandon Sanderson)
Advice to college writers: Be patient with yourself. Give yourself time and the freedom to explore the different directions you can take and don’t pressure yourself to be perfect from the first draft.
Mackenzie Frey

Class: 2025
Major(s): Marine Biology
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: ComUDy (stand up comedy club), painting, reading, hiking and being outside
Favorite books and authors: Circe- Madeline Miller, the Percy Jackson series, and anything recommended by you guys!
Advice to college writers: There’s no such thing as a perfect writing process. Writing in your own way is the only way your truth and your unique experiences can be revealed to the world. Keep writing!
Erica Grening

Class: 2023
Major(s): Criminal Justice & Psychology
Minor(s): Forensic Science
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m in Tier 4 of BHLP and involved in research surrounding domestic violence. I love working out, cooking, traveling, and reading!
Favorite books and authors: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid; Verity by Colleen Hoover; Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini
Advice to college writers: Be patient with yourself; Allow your writing to lead you out of you comfort zone!
Faith Hadley

Class: 2025
Major(s): Medical Diagnostics Pre-PA
Minor(s): Biological Sciences and Neuroscience
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I spend a lot of my time working as an EMT for Aetna Hose, Hook, and Ladder Co. I also play trumpet for the UD marching band. I enjoy hiking, skiing, and playing softball.
Favorite books and authors: The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi, and Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.
Advice to college writers: The beginning of the writing process has always been the most intimidating for me. Don’t feel like your draft needs to be perfect. Put your ideas on paper first. You can always go back to revise them later.
Isabella Haigney

Class: 2025
Major(s): Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law & Society
Minor(s): Disability Studies and Philosophy
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Treasurer of StUDent Government Association, member of the President’s Student Advisory Council, point coach for UD’s Career and Life Certificate program, member of HenLaw, and also a member of book club!
Favorite books and authors: My favorite books are Normal People, Gone Girl, and To Kill a Mockingbird. My favorite author is Sally Rooney.
Advice to college writers: Every draft has potential! No matter where one starts, there is always a strong finish ahead. Just keep working for it!
Risha Inaganti

Class: 2025
Major(s): Communication, English
Minor(s): Journalism, Environmental Humanities
Hobbies/interest/clubs: The Review, hiking, reading, baking, and watching really bad movies.
Favorite books and authors: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and anything by Jane Austen
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to take risks! Getting creative and taking chances while writing will always produce the most passionate and interesting work 🙂
Navleen Kaur

Class: 2025
Major(s): International Business and Marketing
Minor(s): Advertising and French
Hobbies/interest/clubs: South Asian Student Association, Honors Planning Board, Reading, Swimming, Running, Hiking, Traveling
Favorite books and authors: The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, The Mountains Sing by Nguyễn Phan Quế Mai, The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult, Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah, and All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Advice to college writers: Open up a document and write anything that came to mind when you read the prompt. Do not worry about whether your writing is perfect in the planning stage because it will stop you from organizing your thoughts and forming your opinions. Writing is a process, and be sure to write, rewrite, and edit until you are proud of the end product!
Grace Kearns

Class: 2025
Major(s): Communication (PR)
Minor(s): Journalism, Business Administration
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus, I am a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha and a Global Writing intern for CGPS. In my free time, I love watching movies, journaling, baking, and going to the gym.
Favorite books and authors: The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover, and the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Advice to college writers: Think of writing as a conversation. What is it that you really want to tell people? Although it can be intimidating to put your ideas out there to other people, your ideas and opinions are valid and worth being read.
Cody Kelly

Class: 2025
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): German
Hobbies/interest/clubs: President of the German Club, Team VIPER Alum, dog training, horseback riding, breeding isopods, research assistant for Klintsova Lab, and journaling.
Favorite books and authors: The Locked Tomb Series – Tasmin Muir
The Mirror Visitor Quartet – Christelle Dabos
Salem’s Lot – Stephen King
Unwind Dystology – Neal Shusterman
Rot & Ruin – Jonathan Maberry
When Breath Becomes Air – Paul Kalanithi
All the Crooked Saints – Maggie Stiefva
Advice to college writers: Reading good (and bad!) writing is a great way to improve your own writing.
Sarah Lacour

Class: 2024
Major(s): History & Art
Minor(s): Africana Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Figure Drawing Club, Hiking, Painting, Photography & I’m trying to get into running this year.
Favorite books and authors: Some recent class reads that I highly recommend include : Warriors Don’t Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals, Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement by Barbara Ransby, and Plutopia by Kate Brown. They’re books that do a great job of delving into history you mi
Advice to college writers: When struggling with writer’s block, or writing anxiety, remember that it’s ok to start with something that might seem silly, or “not smart”, or nowhere near what the final product will look like. Those beginning steps where you brainstorm, or outline, or stream of consciousness every idea onto paper are essential steps used to sift through information to visualize what works together, and what doesn’t, to begin to form the structure of your paper.
Bella Lam

Class: 2025
Major(s): English, Asian Studies
Minor(s): Chinese
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love reading and am an editor for Caesura, the undergraduate literary journal. In my free time, you’ll likely find me cooking, frequenting coffee shops, or hanging out with friends. I also enjoy seeing plays/musicals/concerts and taking long walks around our beautiful campus!
Favorite books and authors: Books: Six of Crows – Leigh Bardugo, Circe – Madeline Miller, The Anthropocene Reviewed – John Green, Project Hail Mary – Andy Weir. Authors: J.R.R. Tolkien, Neil Gaiman, Shakespeare & Jane Austen (English major, of course)
Advice to college writers: As much as you can, choose a topic based on what you’re passionate about, interested in, or something relevant to your life. Then, discuss that topic in a way that matches the prompt. In my experience, backtracking to focus your writing is easier than pulling teeth over a subject you don’t care about.
Gabi Lane

Class: 2024
Major(s): Political science
Minor(s): Legal studies and history
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am the Vice President of Standards for the Panhellenic Council, a member of Chi Omega and Gamma Sigma Sigma, and a Peer Tutor at the Writing Center. My hobbies include going to the gym, camping, reading, and spending time with my friends and family.
Favorite books and authors: My favorite books include the Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling, Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Beloved by Toni Morrison, and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Advice to college writers: Trust your own writing process! Don’t compare your writing and writing process with anyone else’s – write however feels naturally and let your style and voice come through in your writing.
Anthony Lindis

Class: 2025
Major(s): Business Analytics
Minor(s): Journalism
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Ice Hockey, Snow Bums, Guitar
Favorite books and authors: The Stranger Albert Camus
Advice to college writers: Once you think you’ve done enough research to start, do an hour more.
Zoe Lipkin

Class: 2024
Major(s): Vocal Performance (BM) and Cognitive Science (BS)
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On the music side of things, I teach early childhood music classes and private voice lessons with the Community Music School. In my free time, I love songwriting and playing piano and ukelele. Outside of music, I teach with the yoga club and enjoy pilates, cooking, baking, knitting, and spending time outside.
Favorite books and authors: My favorite books are Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman, and My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows, and Cynthia Hand for the vividness of their language and lifelike characters. Frederik Backman, Madelei
Advice to college writers: #1 — Writing is thinking! Allow yourself to start assignments by just putting your ideas onto the page. Taking off the pressure to have a submission-ready draft on the first try can free you up to take the creative risks that will push your writing to the next level.
#2 — Beautiful and powerful writing can be ornate and poetic, but it can also be straightforward and speech-like. Allow yourself to write without judgment on the “quality” of what you’re creating.
Faith Lovell

Class: 2024
Major(s): Computer Science
Minor(s): Interactive Media
Hobbies/interest/clubs: ACM-W, CS for Social Good, CPUs
Favorite books and authors: True by Katherine Hannigan, Grown Ups by Marian Keyes
Advice to college writers: Be true to yourself and your style of writing! Write what sounds good to you, in the way that works best for you; everyone is different so there’s no use in following a formula unless you think it works personally. When you write your way, and in your style, that’s how you see your best work!
Julia Manson

Class: 2024
Major(s): Political Science and History
Minor(s): Political Communication
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus, I participate in Gamma Phi Beta, The Review, and the Honors College History Project! Outside of school, I love cooking (which is probably my favorite hobby), reading, and I am an avid movie watcher!
Favorite books and authors: Some of my all-time favorite books would definitely be The Silent Patient and The Great gatsby! I particularly love the works of Margaret Atwood, Gillian Flynn, and Taylor Jenkins Reid!
Advice to college writers: Throughout my college experience, I’ve found that writing an essay in one sitting (like many people do in a time-crunch) negatively affects the outcome and quality of my work! Starting an assignment a week or more in advance and breaking it up into smaller chunks makes the big/daunting essay assignment way less intimidating, and it allows you to revisit your work with a fresh mind!
Jessica Maury

Class: 2025
Major(s): Exercise Science
Minor(s): Strength & Conditioning
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love to read, watch movies, and drink coffee to relax. I also enjoy going to the gym with my teammates on the Club Gymnastics team here at UD!
Favorite books and authors: My favorite series of all time is Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, and I recommend it (as well as her other works) to anyone that thrives in the escape that a fantasy-adventure-romance novel provides. I also love the puzzle of mystery books, so anything
Advice to college writers: My advice is to focus less on the whole paper, and take it one idea at a time. Writing essays can be a daunting task, especially the first college papers you write, so taking them in steps and making sure to avoid getting overwhelmed are very important. Remember to breathe and let that nervous energy help you to generate your best ideas, not get in your way!
Abigail McGraw

Class: 2024
Major(s): Environmental Science
Minor(s): Coastal and Marine Geoscience
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Around campus, I am the treasurer for E-52 Student Theatre and I host a radio show on WVUD. I am also involved with undergraduate research on campus and a member of Epsilon Eta. In my free time, I enjoy extensive hiking and crocheting efforts.
Favorite books and authors: Swine Not by Jimmy Buffet, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, and The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.
Advice to college writers: Embrace writing, not as a necessary chore, but as a form of creativity, self-expression, and a vessel to communicate. Good writing is both an art and a skill. Let yourself enjoy the process and if you find yourself bored with what you are writing, choose something else and let the words flow.
Noah Mummert

Class: 2025
Major(s): Music Education (Choral/General)
Minor(s): Disability Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I spend a lot of my time involved in productions with E-52 Student Theater (both on and off the stage), I teach regular ukulele and a cappella classes to elementary aged students through the Community Music School, and I’m in the UD Chorale. In my free time, I like to bake and write poetry.
Favorite books and authors: A Paradise Built in Hell by Rebecca Solnit, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams, and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
Advice to college writers: If you’re stuck in a rut, unhappy with a draft, or just feel like you’re completely out of ideas, it can be good to just open up a blank document (or pull out a blank piece of paper) and write, stream of consciousness, everything you have to say about the topic. Even if it feels redundant or mundane, getting your thoughts out to a place where you can see and sort through them is often a helpful way to discover things you didn’t even know you thought or new ways to phrase old ideas. You can always go back and edit, and drafts never have to be perfect, they just have to be something.
Harrison Oven

Class: 2024
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): Mathematics, Biology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy hiking, skiing, playing guitar, and I’m on the club swim team at UD.
Favorite books and authors: I’ve always liked the Catcher in the Rye and Great Expectations as classics, but Stephen King is a consistent favorite author.
Advice to college writers: Style is just as important as content. Don’t be afraid to deviate from the standard to do what you think is right for your paper and convey what you intend.
Shreeya Parekh

Class: 2024
Major(s): Computer Science, Political Science
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Watching movies, embroidery, trying new food, research, teaching
Favorite books and authors: Circe by Madeline Miller, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Advice to college writers: Your story matters! Empower yourself by embracing your voice and creating interesting works, academic or otherwise.
Hanna Parikh

Class: 2025
Major(s): Psychology, Cognitive Science
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Blue Hen Leadership Program, Undergrad research assistant @ the Impression Formation Social Neuroscience lab, photography, hiking, writing, overanalyzing my favorite TV shows and movies
Favorite books and authors: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, Normal People by Sally Rooney, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Advice to college writers: Write about the things you care about. You’ll find it easier to produce your best writing that way and you’ll probably have more fun doing it. Also, try not focus on editing as you write your first draft; writing can always be revised after you’ve put the ideas down on your page. You can’t clean up messes you haven’t given yourself the chance to make.
Maya Patel

Class: 2024
Major(s): Cognitive Science, Media Communication
Minor(s): Advertising, Disability Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m involved in Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority, UDance, Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, and PRSSA. I’m also an Honors Ambassador and a research assistant in a communication lab on campus. In my free time, I love painting, cooking, making playlists, and discovering new movies and shows!
Favorite books and authors: Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid, Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, and People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to be authentic and vulnerable in your writing! College is a wonderful time to get to know yourself and explore new topics and styles of writing.
Avery Pollicita

Class: 2025
Major(s): Human Physiology
Minor(s): Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am the apparel chair for Phi Delta Epsilon medical fraternity. I love to run, and I am a member of the Club XC/TF team. I am a member of the Chabad at UD and Mishelanu board and I’m very passionate about Jewish life on campus. In my free time I love to bake, go to coffee shops around campus, and just enjoy being outside.
Favorite books and authors: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, The Giver by Lois Lowry, and my favorite book series to binge read is The Selection Series by Kiera Cass.
Advice to college writers: Start from anywhere, whatever that means to you as a writer. Whether you write your thesis first, your topic sentences, or even your conclusion, everyone’s writing process is unique and what may work for one student may not work for another. If you need help getting started/creating a plan, always feel free to reach out to your writing fellow or visit the writing center. We want you to succeed!
Julia Rusinski

Class: 2024
Major(s): Biological Sciences, Psychology
Minor(s): Genetic Counseling
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m a research assistant in the Close Relationships and Health Lab, and a member of SOS at UD and the Future Genetic Counselor’s Club. In my free time, I enjoy reading, writing, and cooking.
Favorite books and authors: My current favorite books are A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, and literally any book by R.F. Kuang.
Advice to college writers: When in doubt, just start writing! It’s much easier to edit a page of ramblings than it is to edit a blank page, and you might be surprised by what you come up with when you rid yourself of the idea that your first draft must be “perfect.”
Jade Schlegel

Class: 2024
Major(s): Medical Diagnostics
Minor(s): Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love yoga and I am an instructor for yoga club. I also really enjoy traveling, reading, taking care of my plants and cooking/baking. On campus you might have me as a peer mentor or see me tutoring for the MMSC department.
Favorite books and authors: Victoria Aveyard and TJ Klune are two of my favorite authors right now. My favorite book at the moment is “Tuesdays with Morrie”.
Advice to college writers: Finding your writing style is an evolving process. Give yourself patience as you find your voice in your writing. Also, write what feels right! Try a few different topics and see what you think feels the best to write.
Kelly Shea

Class: 2024
Major(s): International Relations
Minor(s): Art History, International Business Studies, and Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am a connoisseur of coffee so I love to try out new drinks and cafés. I also enjoy listening to all genres of music and dissecting the meaning behind the lyrics. I am a part of Phi Sigma Sigma and I am currently the UDance Team Captain for my sorority.
Favorite books and authors: One of my all-time favorite books is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, and a new favorite is The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy. I always admired Cormac McCarthy’s style of writing, but I do not have a favori
Advice to college writers: Writing is a skill that everyone is capable of developing; there is no such thing as a bad writer!
Jenna Stoudt

Class: 2024
Major(s): Medical Diagnostics, Liberal Studies
Minor(s): Spanish for Healthcare
Hobbies/interest/clubs: At UD, I am this year’s president of the Club Gymnastics team and am also a member of Phi Delta Epsilon, a pre-medical fraternity. Outside of classes, I love to bike, ski, read, and spend time with my friends!
Favorite books and authors: My favorite book is Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I am also a huge Harry Potter fan!
Advice to college writers: As you transition into college writing, don’t be afraid to experiment with your writing! With so many different types of writing projects, now is a great time to try new things and figure out what works best for you!
Anna Thomas

Class: 2025
Major(s): Human Physiology (BS), Spanish StudIes (BA)
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Reading (on the beach :), traveling, swimming, ADPi Sorority, UDaB, UD Club Swim, Lori’s Hands
Favorite books and authors: Some of my favorite books and authors include Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, In Five Years by Rebecca Serle, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, and poems by Rupi Kaur
Advice to college writers: Write about something you are interested in! When given the freedom, choose a topic that will make you want to write because it makes the writing process so much more enjoyable. Your passion will be reflected through your writing and your message will be that much more convincing to your readers.
Derek Wu

Class: 2024
Major(s): Biological Sciences and Environmental Science
Minor(s): Biochemistry
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I conduct undergraduate research (microbiology, soil science, forestry), teach for BISC300 (Introduction to Microbiology), and am a member of Epsilon Eta. I also enjoy hiking, drawing, keeping houseplants, and binging shows on Hulu and Netflix.
Favorite books and authors: Handmaid’s Tale and Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood and Dracula by Bram Stoker
Advice to college writers: Write about something you like! Even if the prompt seems narrow and focused, find a way to incorporate a unique perspective or angle that appeals to your interests. Your best writing will emerge from a topic that you genuinely like.