Meet the Writing Fellows

Ari August

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biological Sciences; Liberal Arts of Medical Studies
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love hiking and doing anything outdoors, I’m involved with Healthcare Theatre at UD as well as E-52 Student Theatre, PhiDeltaEpsilon Premedical Fraternity, Honors Integrated Workshop Leader, Munson Fellow, and avid hammocker on the Harrington Turf.
Favorite books and authors: I’ve been on a Malcolm Gladwell kick lately so that’s been my author of choice whenever I have time to read but part of what I love about taking literature-based courses is that they require I find time to read assigned selections which broadens my horizons from whatever author I’m currently binging.
Advice to college writers: Get to know your professors well right off the bat by attending office hours and spitballing ideas for assignments; they’re here to help you and the better you understand their expectations the more successful you’ll be! 🙂
Edward Benner

Class: 2021
Major(s): Secondary English Education
Minor(s): Art History, Women and Gender Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Music and Society Editor for The Review, Vice President of Main Street Journal, WVUD Basement DJ, voracious reader, starry-eyed poet, hiker, daydreamer, coffee drinker, film connoisseur, and music-lover.
Favorite books and authors: Albert Camus “The Stranger,” D.H. Lawrence “Sons and Lovers,” Cormac McCarthy “Blood Meridian,” Patti Smith “Just Kids,” Herman Melville “Moby Dick,” J.D. Salinger “Catcher in the Rye,” Ernest Hemingway “A Moveable Feast,” Ayn Rand “The Fountainhead,” Pamela Royes “Temperance Creek”
Advice to college writers: Convention is a limitation. If it feels strange or uncomfortable, push and explore it. Even if it fails, the process is priceless in your evolution as a writer.
Alexa Bruette

Class: 2020
Major(s): Psychology
Minor(s): Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Alpha Phi Omega, kayaking, reading, and listening to music
Favorite books and authors: It’s hard to choose a favorite, but I think I can narrow it down to a few. I love the Harry Potter series, Beloved by Toni Morrison, and The Giver by Lois Lowry.
Advice to college writers: Sometimes you’re going to start writing and end up somewhere completely different than how you started, and that’s okay! Sometimes you discover what you truly want to say after you start writing.
Chelsea Caplinger

Class: 2021
Major(s): Political Science
Minor(s): Legal Studies, Public Policy
Hobbies/interest/clubs: At UD, I am actively involved in the Mock Trial team and have been their treasurer for the past two years. I have been a barista for about 4 years now, and consider my love for coffee a hobby.
Favorite books and authors: Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite authors, I particularly love his play The Importance of Being Earnest and his book The Picture of Dorian Gray. Some of my favorite books include The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner, milk and honey by Rupi Kaur, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Advice to college writers: While the goal is to improve your writing skills in college, be sure to work towards your own personal style. Pick topics that fascinate you, and not just topics that will guarantee you an A. Be sure to write material that you know your teacher will enjoy, but don’t let this prohibit you from thinking outside the box and exploring new areas and topics of writing you felt too restricted to previously explore. Writing can be stress relieving, thought provoking, and a challenge all at the same time, and having a balance of each of these is what will keep you sane and not too overwhelmed in your college courses.
Alina Caulfied

Class: 2020
Major(s): English, Public Policy
Minor(s): Philosophy, Sociology, Energy and Environmental Policy
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Blue Hen Leadership Program, Outing Club, Greek Life, The Review, yoga, spending time outside, listening to music, playing piano, reading, photography, environmental issues/climate change, social issues, space, philosophy, being environmentally conscious
Favorite books and authors: Jhumpa Lahiri, John Steinbeck, Jane Austen, Malcom Gladwell, Annie Dillard
Advice to college writers: You know more than you think you do about writing; you have a wealth of knowledge and resources available to you and all you have to do is absorb it.
Brynn Chieffo

Class: 2021
Major(s): English, Linguistics
Minor(s): Psychology, Comparative Literature, Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Editor-in-Chief of the Main Street Journal, UD Swing Club, UDaB, reading outside, witchcraft, baking
Favorite books and authors: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley; Turtles All the Way Down by John Green; Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi; anything by Jane Austen, Rick Riordan, or Kurt Vonnegut
Advice to college writers: Always look for a way to connect the assigned topic to one of your academic or personal interests. It will make the writing process a much more enjoyable and valuable use of your time.
Izzi Cohen

Class: 2020
Major(s): Anthropology
Minor(s): French, Writing
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I love to draw, read, and write. This self (“Izzi”) tends also to question its existence, and existence in general, with itself, and other selves in conversation… I also tend to spend a stupid amount of time engaging with “imponderables.”
Favorite books and authors: My all time favorite author is David Sedaris. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is a gem. Can’t leave out the Harry Potter series… and J.D. Salinger’s Catcher in the Rye and Franny and Zooey are great ones. Tao Te Ching. Any books that have me realizing (with excitement and gratitude!) what I already know deep in my soul.
Advice to college writers: My advice to college writers: find a way to make every writing assignment that is given to you interesting to you personally. As boring, or out of touch, or unrelatable a prompt can seem, every one of them is an opportunity to create something worthwhile– just be curious. Also– don’t fall back on writing with a structure or a voice you were told was RIGHT by some authority. Un-educate yourself. Honor how powerful writing can be by honoring yourself and your experiences.
Mallory Coughlin

Class: 2020
Major(s): History Education
Minor(s): Disability Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Project Sunshine, Catholic Campus Ministry
Favorite books and authors: All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth Silver; George Orwell, Gillian Flynn
Advice to college writers: Try to find some aspect about your paper topic that you find truly interesting and exciting, then tap into that excitement to carry you through the writing process.
Gillian Crawford

Class: 2021
Major(s): Nursing
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: UDance, Club Volleyball, weight lifting, intramural anything, hiking, reading, painting, and being outside as much as possible.
Favorite books and authors: George RR Martin, Stephen King, The Harry Potter Series.
Advice to college writers: Focus on developing your writing ability, not just the draft in front of you. It is a life-long skill!
Kat Filliben

Class: 2021
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): Human Development and Family Studies, History
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus I’m involved in Occupational Therapy Club, Lori’s Hands, Buddies for a Brighter Future, Gamma Sigma Sigma, and mentoring at Brookside Elementary. I’m a Community Engagement Ambassador, Community Engagement Scholar, and an RA for the SLAM Lab. I
Favorite books and authors: The Harry Potter series – JK Rowling, The Things They Carried – Tim O’Brien, The Book Thief – Markus Zusak, John Green’s books, Throne of Glass – Sarah J. Maas
Advice to college writers: Don’t get stuck on the first draft. Trying to make it perfect on your first try is going to needlessly stress you out. I’ve found writing to be the most natural when I’m having fun with it, and not intent on perfection. Revisions and drafting are a part of the writing process, so allow yourself enough time.
Cally Gant

Class: 2021
Major(s): Political Science Education
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am involved in HenMUN and am a member of Pi Beta Phi sorority. I enjoy traveling, staying active, and reading up on current events in my free time.
Favorite books and authors: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Les Misérables by Victor Hugo, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, and 1984 by George Orwell.
Advice to college writers: Don’t doubt yourself or your writing. You always have something to say so say it and stand by it! Be proud of your work!
Ananya Garg

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s): Spanish for Healthcare
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy volunteering at hospitals and shadowing doctors, painting, and exploring music. I am a member of the Phi Delta Epsilon medical fraternity and involved with UDaB and UDance.
Favorite books and authors: Book Thief – Markus Zusak, To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee, Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
Advice to college writers: Throughout college I have learned it’s important to venture outside of my comfort zone and use new writing styles since I was very accustomed to using formats that I was taught in high school. I have also learned that writing about topics that I am passionate about and interested in makes writing essays much easier and more enjoyable. Everyone’s writing process is different and it simply takes time and multiple assignments to find what works for you.
Neil Godbole

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biomedical Engineering
Minor(s): English
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Reading (fantasy, science fiction, comic books), watching lots of TV and movies, playing video games (basically anything nerdy!). I am also a tour guide for UD, and I have been an undergraduate research assistant.
Favorite books and authors: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
Advice to college writers: Always try to answer the prompt to the best of your ability, but try to have fun with whatever you are writing too!
Alex Guterbock

Class: 2020
Major(s): International Relations, Public Policy
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: UDaB (UD Alternative Breaks) Site Leader Trainer
Favorite books and authors: Isabel Allende, House of the Spirits
Advice to college writers: Your original ideas and opinions matter! Don’t be afraid to express yourself and be creative with your arguments.
Amylia Hoos

Class: 2021
Major(s): Physics, Agriculture and Natural Resources
Minor(s): Wildlife Ecology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I’m a member of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club, UD Swing, Society of Physics Students, and Society of Composers at UD. I also enjoy going to concerts, hiking/backpacking, yoga, gardening, and creating small explosions in my kitchen.
Favorite books and authors: The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, Roald Dahl, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.
Advice to college writers: Don’t wait til the last minute, but if you do, don’t rush the process too much.
Paige Kistler

Class: 2020
Major(s): English
Minor(s): History and Museum Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Creative writing, obsessing over most nerdy things (i.e. Star Wars, Marvel, Game of Thrones, etc.)
Favorite books and authors: The Harry Potter series, Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson, Leigh Bardugo, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Peter and the Starcatchers series, Rick Riordan, and Red Rising
Advice to college writers: It might not be easy to start. Your grammar might not be spot-on and you might have trouble communicating all your thoughts exactly the way you want them to at first. But, if you keep trying and if you want to improve, you will see improvement. No matter what, though, keep writing.
Katie Kornienko

Class: 2020
Major(s): Finance, Fashion Merchandising
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: UD Figure Skating, UDress Magazine, Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority, fashion blogging
Favorite books and authors: The Kite Runner, The Alchemist, Shoe Dog, Gone Girl, Crime and Punishment, Lean In, Malcolm Gladwell, George R.R. Martin, Stephen King
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone – the best writing comes to fruition when you take risks and believe in your abilities.
Pallavi Kulkarni

Class: 2020
Major(s): Neuroscience B.S.
Minor(s): Biological Sciences, French Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus I am involved with UDRESS, Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity, Undergraduate Research, and UDaB. I love yoga, traveling, listening to podcasts, writing.
Favorite books and authors: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, Complications by Atul Gawande are great! Some favorite authors of mine are Malcolm Gladwell, Atul Gawande, and Harper Lee.
Advice to college writers: It is ok if you absolutely hate your first draft. You don’t need it to be perfect (it’s called a draft for a reason) and let your thoughts and ideas just flow out on to the paper!
Carly Liberatore

Class: 2021
Major(s): Medical Diagnostics
Minor(s): Biology, Spanish for healthcare
Hobbies/interest/clubs: On campus, I teach yoga for the yoga club and participate in the Yes U Can club where I assist a woman with multiple sclerosis with her workouts at the Little Bob. My hobbies include reading on the beach, listening to good music, and cheering on any Phill
Favorite books and authors: The Last Lecture, The Pact, Tuesdays with Morrie, and Big Little Lies!
Advice to college writers: My advice is to not be afraid to try new things in writing and stray away from the traditional five paragraph essay format. I encourage students to let their own voice shine through their writing whenever possible and to seek out help from peers, writing fellows, or professors to help them become better writers!
Lauren Marvin

Class: 2020
Major(s): International Business Studies, French Studies
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, World Scholars Program, Mock Trial, traveling, Netflix
Favorite books and authors: John Grisham, James Patterson, Harry Potter, Me Before You, The Count of Monte Cristo
Advice to college writers: The quality of your first draft isn’t what matters, but rather what you choose to do with it after. Comments aren’t there to make you feel bad about yourself; they’re there to help you explore new ideas and ultimately become a better writer, so don’t shy away from them!
Bianca Mers

Class: 2020
Minor(s): Spanish, Leadership
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Strong #likeagirl Club, APO service fraternity, running (honestly, more like fast walking), napping, (accidentally killing) plants, Hulu
Favorite books and authors: One More Thing by BJ Novak, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, recently on a Jane Austen kick
Advice to college writers: Trust yourself! Doing what works for you not only makes the writing process more enjoyable but usually makes a product that’s also more enjoyable to read.
Rachel Milberg

Class: 2020
Major(s): English, Psychology
Minor(s): Holocaust and Genocide Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Reading, creative writing, E-52 Student Theatre, The Review, Research assistant for the Infant Caregiver Project
Favorite books and authors: Hemingway, Shakespeare, John Green and anything Kurt Vonnegut, specifically Mother Night, Cat’s Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five. I also am a sucker for The Great Gatsby. I love that green light.
Advice to college writers: My advice for college writers is not to abide by confining writing rules all the time. Your writing should be your own voice, unique and distinct. Don’t be afraid to try new things and experiment with your words, because your words are powerful! Take some writing risks!
Steve Mirsen

Class: 2020
Major(s): Public Policy, History
Minor(s): Political Science
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I enjoy reading, watching (sometimes too much) Netflix, and talking about what I read and watch with my friends. I love swimming, and spend as much time at the pool and beach as I can in the summer. I also like debating and avidly follow news and politics
Favorite books and authors: My favorite book series are the Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and the Maze Runner, and have been since elementary and middle school. More recently, I’ve found a new favorite author in the (well named) Stephen King, and especially enjoyed “The Stand,” “It,” “The Shining,” and “11/22/63.” I was also particularly interested in “Lies Incorporated, the World of Post-Truth Politics,” by Ari Rabin-Havt and Media Matters for America.
Advice to college writers: I’d recommend new college writers test their limits and try to branch out in style and subject. It’s extremely easy to doubt your abilities, and for me, writing about something has always illustrated that I have a lot more to say about something than I initially would’ve thought. The more ways you approach something, the more sides of an issue you see, which helps give you a better understanding of what you’re learning about or trying to communicate to readers. Risks taken with confidence usually pay off, and the feeling of having done well after testing yourself is well-rewarding.
Sage Mosteller

Class: 2020
Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, sketching, Russian language
Favorite books and authors: Собака (Рассказ Незнакомки), The Bibliophile’s Dictionary, Lord of the Flies
Advice to college writers: A good writer and a bad writer are often the same person at different points in the drafting process.
Caleb Owens

Class: 2020
Major(s): History, English, Philosophy
Minor(s): Cognitive Science, Anthropology
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Black coffee and the news.
Favorite books and authors: Jane Austen, John McPhee, James Baldwin, Elizabeth Kolbert, Nozick, David Foster Wallace, Philip Roth, Solzhenitsyn, Edward Abbey, Kierkegaard, Dostoevsky, Mark.
Advice to college writers: Write first, think later. It’s the unnatural order.
Sarah Reynolds

Class: 2020
Major(s): History, French
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am a brother of UD’s chapter of Phi Sigma Pi and a Resident Assistant. I love reading, running, hiking, being outside, traveling, and spending time with friends.
Favorite books and authors: I love Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series and the Harry Potter books. I enjoy reading books that I have enjoyed in the past that have been translated to French.
Advice to college writers: Writing in college will be different than what you have done before, and it will take time to adjust. Remember that drafting is an important part of the process for a reason.
Lauren Ryan

Class: 2020
Major(s): Nursing
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Student Nursing Organization, Hillel, Alpha Delta Pi sorority, cooking, watching Netflix, staying active
Favorite books and authors: The Great Gatsby, John Green, Nicholas Sparks, James Patterson
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to take a chance with your writing It’s totally okay to try something new. And you never know, it may be some of your best work!
Emily Stuebing

Class: 2021
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Genetic Counseling, English, Spanish
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am a UDaB Site leader, Sexual Offense Support victim advocate, Event planner for TEDx talks at UD, and Writing Fellow (of course!). I enjoy swimming, reading, journaling, traveling, hiking, finding the best coffee shops, eating Roots, and hanging out wi
Favorite books and authors: One of my favorite classics is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and more recently I have enjoyed Educated by Tara Westover and A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and ask for help. Also, use writing as a way to discover your passions and interests. Find something that motivates you to write!
Justine Tarsillo

Class: 2021
Major(s): Pre-veterinary, Animal Biosciences & Agriculture and Natural Resources
Minor(s): Chemistry, Insect Ecology and Conservation
Hobbies/interest/clubs: I am involved in Animal Science Club, Pre-Vet Club, PROUD, Yoga Club, Vida Volunteer Club, Scientistas, undergraduate research, and Ag Ambassadors.
Favorite books and authors: The 100 series, The Mortal Instruments Series, Harry Potter Series
Advice to college writers: You can never have too many drafts! In order to improve your writing, you must revise, revise, revise. Don’t forget to include your peers in the editing process as well; a second, fresh pair of eyes will often catch errors that the writer did not.
Emma Thieke

Class: 2020
Major(s): Three Languages (French, Spanish, Arabic)
Minor(s): Global Studies
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Swimming, Reading, Writing, Italian Club, Orthodox Christian Fellowship
Favorite books and authors: JK Rowling (of course), Jane Austen, Rick Riordan, Brandon Sanderson
Advice to college writers: Don’t be afraid to use your resources! Writing in college can be daunting but you’re definitely not alone. Your peers, your writing fellows, and your professors are wonderful resources to talk to and will always be willing to help, so reach out to them!
Leighton Trimarco

Class: 2020
Major(s): Public Policy
Minor(s): Legal Studies, Political Communication
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Mock Trial, HenLaw Society, Delaware Diplomats, Philly sports, podcasts, hiking, theater, concerts, Game of Thrones
Favorite books and authors: George R.R. Martin, Left to Tell, The Help, Night, A Brave New World, The Hunger Games series, Giovanni’s Room
Advice to college writers: If you are able, have multiple dependable people read over your work and give you feedback before submission. Ensure they are reading the final product, because opening up your best work for constructive criticism often makes for better writing.
John Vaile

Class: 2020
Major(s): Biochemistry, Spanish Studies
Minor(s): Biochemical Engineering, Philosophy
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Traveling, doodling and sculpting, exploring local coffee shops, and watching sports; American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Hablar Sin Parar, Making Doctors, MEDLIFE, University Allocation Board, University of Delaware Emergency Care Un
Favorite books and authors: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee, Galileo’s Middle Finger by Alice Dreger
Advice to college writers: 1) Keep an open mind; 2) Don’t be complacent.
Kat Warner

Class: 2021
Major(s): Environmental Science
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Impact Dance Company (dancer and treasurer), Blue Hen Ambassador (Tour Guide), love to read just about anything fiction, spending time outside (hiking, swimming, biking, kayaking), listening to music/playing it on the piano, painting, traveling, the ocean
Favorite books and authors: Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Life of Pi by Yann Martel, DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan and so many more!
Advice to college writers: Try to twist the topic of your paper into something that interests you even a little bit because it will make the writing so much more enjoyable and natural.
Susanna Weir

Class: 2021
Major(s): Media Communication
Minor(s): English
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Women’s Cross Country/Track and Field, Student Television Network, reading, writing, traveling
Favorite books and authors: Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and the Harry Potter series
Advice to college writers: Be open minded about the process of writing regardless of your past experiences with it and the focus of your academic journey. Writing has something for everyone if they are willing to dedicate themselves to it.
Winnie Wong

Class: 2021
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): Biochemistry
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Traveling, sketching, reading mystery and sci-fi novels, hiking, Asian Awareness Perspectives and Connections (AAPC) Magazine, Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (SASE), Vietnamese Student Association (VSA)
Favorite books and authors: Flowers for Algernon, A Man Called Ove, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, John Green, Haruki Murakami
Advice to college writers: Be open to new ideas that come your way. College is about finding your own style of writing so don’t be afraid to experiment!
Vanessa Wrobeh

Class: 2020
Major(s): Nursing
Minor(s):
Hobbies/interest/clubs: Student Nurse’s Organization (SNO), Multicultural Student Nurse’s Organization (SNO), Nursing Blue Hen Ambassador, Lori’s Hands Volunteer, Volunteer at A.I Dupont Children’s Hospital, Intramural Volleyball, running/hiking, baking
Favorite books and authors: Atul Gawande, Cortney Davis, Jen Sincero, Mark Manson
Advice to college writers: We are often our worst critics when it comes to our own writing, but you are capable of much more than you think! Have confidence in yourself!