On November 6th, 2016, more than 200 students and their families gathered for the General Honors Award ceremony.
Letters notifying students about the ceremony and their receipt of the award are e-mailed out in October. The General Honors Award is listed on each student’s University of Delaware official transcript.The General Honors Award recognizes a student’s pursuit of Honors challenges and enrichment opportunities during the first two years of university study. It can be earned only by those admitted to the Honors Program as first-year students who satisfy the requirements listed below. All students in the University of Delaware Honors Program are automatically reviewed for the General Honors Award the summer after the completion of their second year. No separate application is required. Students who earn the General Honors Award are recognized at a ceremony in the fall of their third year.
|Requirements for the General Honors Award
- Eighteen credits of Honors coursework over the first two years, with a minimum of 12 credits required in the first year.
- The 12 Honors credits required in the first year must include an interdisciplinary Honors colloquium and an Honors ENGL 110 (seminar in composition) course. For students who have credit for ENGL 110 prior to their matriculation, an Honors ENGL 110 is not required. However, 12 Honors credits are still required in the first two semesters at the University of Delaware Newark campus.
- Beginning with students who entered UD in Fall 2016, A minimum of a 3.30 cumulative GPA must be earned by the end of the student’s first two years at the University. (A 3.20 cumulative GPA is needed for classes entering before Fall 2016)
- A minimum of 60 credits (including AP and/or transfer credits) must be completed by the end of the student’s second year, with at least 54 credits earned at UD.
- Students are required to live in freshman Honors housing their first year at UD unless commuting from home.
- A minimum grade of C- is required in all Honors courses counting toward the General Honors Award.
- Honors coursework counting toward the General Honors Award cannot be taken on a Pass-Fail basis unless the course is only offered Pass-Fail.