The Demetrios Agathangelides Scholarship
True Leaf Market is proud to support the agricultural sciences. Each year, we offer two $1000 scholarships to college students involved in the agricultural sciences. We encourage students in both graduate and undergraduate programs to apply for this scholarship, which will allow them to showcase the skills and knowledge they’ve learned in their agriculture-related field. We want applicants to demonstrate their knowledge with confidence while fulfilling the requirements for this scholarship. Overall, our aim is to encourage students to exercise what they have learned while bettering the world around them. We offer scholarships to students in these plant science related disciplines:
- Landscape Architecture
- All Other Plant Science related disciplines
Application deadline is July 31, 2018. For more information visit our website: True Leaf Market
A $500 scholarship will be awarded this summer to a New Jersey student majoring in natural resource conservation, environmental science or a related field of study, announced the Firman E. Bear Chapter of the Soil and Water Conservation Society (SWCS). The Edward R. Hall/Robert R. Hanna Scholarship is awarded annually to acknowledge NJ college students for their academic and personal accomplishments in the field of conservation and/or natural resources.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 30, 2018 postmark
To qualify for the scholarship, an applicant must be:
• a full-time student in good standing at any New Jersey accredited university/college, or a New Jersey resident attending any accredited out-of-state university/college; and
• an undergraduate enrolled in a curriculum related to natural resources, including but not limited to: agriculture, agronomy, conservation, ecology, environmental science, fisheries, forestry, geography, journalism, plant science, soil science, and/or wildlife. Other areas related to conservation may also qualify; and
• have successfully completed at least two semesters of study.
TO APPLY: Go to www.njswcs.org to download application form, complete and postmark by April 30, 2018 and mail to:
Firman E. Bear Chapter, SWCS
220 Davidson Ave, 4th floor
Somerset, NJ 08873
The scholarship winner will be announced by June 15, 2018.
Firman E. Bear is the New Jersey Chapter of the Soil and Water Conservation Society (SWCS). Mission: The Soil and Water Conservation Society fosters the development and application of science- based policies and practices for managing soil, water, and related natural resources in order to achieve sustainability.
Trevose Horticultural Society
2018 Scholarship Program
Application Deadline March 15, 2018
The Trevose Horticultural Society will be awarding a One Thousand Five Hundred dollar ($1,500.) scholarship to the successful applicant, selected by the Scholarship Committee, following review of applications and other required documentation, received by March 15, 2018. An applicant must be a currently enrolled college or university student majoring in: Horticulture, Floriculture, Landscape Architecture, Conservation Forestry, Botany, Agronomy, Plant Pathology, Environmental Ecology, City Planning, Land Management, Farming or related subjects.
- Applicants must be a US Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident of the United States.
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 graded hours.
- Graduate Students must be enrolled for a minimum of 9 graded hours
The application must include:
- Scholarship Application Form
- Financial Aid Form
- Transcript of Grades provided by the Dean’s Office, it does not need be a “sealed” transcript
- A letter not to exceed one (1) typed page from the applicant stating: career goals, practical experience in the field of study, personal background.
- Additionally, you are encouraged but not required to include any letters of recommendation from academic or employment sources
All APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MARCH 15, 2018.
ADDRESS APPLICATIONS TO:
JOHN J. LEE
11 CREEK ROAD
CHURCHVILLE, PA 18966-1426
Notice of scholarship award will be sent to all applicants by
March 26, 2018.
The Plant Records Management Intern is a recent college graduate that will gain experience in the operations and management of a plant records office at a public garden. The intern is immersed in the office’s daily operations which include maintaining the plant records databases, plant nomenclature and plant labels for a collection of over 11,000 taxa. The intern is trained, mentored, and assigned work by the Plant Records Manager. He/she is an integral part of the plant records office which is within the Library and Information Services unit of the Education Department and will work to achieve goals that support Longwood Gardens’ mission.
The essential functions of the position are:
- Accession newly acquired plants.
- Verify plant nomenclature utilizing a wide range of publications, databases and other information resources, including archival files.
- Produce both display labels and brass accession tags.
- Map woody plant material using a GPS.
- Provide reference assistance for students, staff, and external guests which may include research and/or plant identification.
- Inventory plants throughout the collection.
- Work a weekly shift at the Longwood Library reference/ circulation desk.
- Update What’s in Bloom on Longwood Gardens’ website.
- Actively contribute to all required Longwood student/intern work projects as defined by the Director of Domestic and International Studies, as well as participates in student/intern activities as appropriate considering the intern’s professional interests and work priorities.
All tasks are performed in alignment with Longwood’s organizational values and are in support of achievement of Longwood’s Strategic Plan.
Skills and knowledge we are looking for in a candidate:
- Familiarity with plant identification
- Familiarity with principles of plant nomenclature
- Familiarity with plant records databases
- Familiarity with geospatial software
- Great organizational skills
- Be able, comfortable, and willing to work independently and as part of a group
- Be able, comfortable, and willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to interact with people in a courteous, patient, and professional manner
This is a 12 month internship starting in May or September.
The position extends throughout one full year, full time, 40 hours per week. This is a paid position at a rate of $10.00/hour with optional free housing (a taxable benefit) provided. Located in Kennett Square, PA, Longwood Gardens is approximately 45 minutes southwest of Philadelphia.
For more information on housing, student activities, hours and wages, go to http://longwoodgardens.org/education/college-and-university-programs/internships-for-us-students or contact EDU-Studies@longwoodgardens.org
A completed application should include
1. The application form (found here: http://longwoodgardens.org/education/college-and-university-programs/internships-us-students/apply-now/application)
2. A copy of your resume (uploaded in a word pdf file)
3. A statement of your professional objectives, approximately 200 words (uploaded in a word pdf file)
4. Official transcripts of all college courses, must show cumulative GPA, minimum GPA of 2.5 required (uploaded in a word pdf file)
5. A letter of reference from your academic advisor (or professor) regarding your scholastic achievements and potential as an intern (uploaded in a word pdf file)
6. A reference from a current or former employer, preferably from within your field of interest (uploaded in a word pdf file)
ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Must be received by February 1, 2018 for May start date.
Must be received by May 1, 2018 for September start date.
The Garden Club of America funds 28 scholarships, which provides over $330,000 in financial aid to qualified students. The GCA funds studies and research in the following areas: forestry to applied plant sciences to ecology and evolutionary biology, landscape architecture, and horticulture. To learn more about the GCA scholarships, requirements, and deadlines visit their website: GCA Scholarships