The Smithsonian Gardens have multiple internship positions available in horticulture, greenhouse and interiorscapes production, orchid collections where interns will not only work with the orchids but assist in a massive virus testing effort currently being undertaken, and plant health specialist internship that will focus on integrated pest management, pest identification, and biological control implementation.
The deadline has been extended for the summer applications, to February 15th for online application submissions. Internships generally run for 8-12 weeks depending on the needs of the student. Internships usually begin in either May or June and weekly stipends are granted based on the needs of the student should they get accepted.
For more information including a list of all available internships and the online submission portal visit: https://gardens.si.edu/learn/internships/
The Cooperative Extension Summer Scholar Program connects university knowledge, research and resources with the public to address youth, family, community and agricultural needs.
The Extension Scholars program is designed to follow the service learning model whereby scholars will have an opportunity to become fully engaged in organizational service experiences that:
- Are integrated into the academic curriculum
- Meet the needs of a community
- Provide structured time for reflection
- Help to foster civic responsibility
Current undergraduate (rising sophomore) or graduate students at the University of Delaware are encouraged to apply by February 13, 2020.
For more information and an application visit: https://www.udel.edu/academics/colleges/canr/cooperative-extension/extension-scholar-program/
Ice Cream Production Manager
Kilby Cream in Colora, MD, seeks motivated individual to lead new ice cream production line. The right candidate will work with owners to build an ice cream team and develop ice cream production SOPs to produce consistent, high-quality ice cream.
Ice cream to be manufactured on new ice cream line- continuous flow GRAM freezer, ripple pump, and ingredient feeder. Produce and inventory ice cream for Kilby Cream retail store, seasonal ice cream shops, and year-round retailers. Ice cream is packaged in 3 gal round tubs, with a StanPac Flex E Fill utilized to fill 56 oz, 16 oz, and 8 oz rounds.
Ice cream team’s duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Monitor ice cream orders and plan weekly production schedule
- Inventory ice cream supplies (inclusions, ingredients, containers) and request reorders as necessary.
- Work with HTST operator to ensure adequate ice cream mix to fill production requirements.
- Maintain necessary temperature recording charts.
- Maintain detailed, up to date records on ice cream production.
- Develop and maintain Sanitation SOPs for equipment and production area.
- Clean, organize, maintain storage areas for ice cream equipment, ingredients, other supplies.
Ideal candidate will be flexible with job description and be willing to work where needed, as the need arises. Preference given to those with management experience and experience in dairy/food production.
Position offers competitive salary.
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
CANR Students, funding and transportation may be available for this opportunity. Please contact Mrs. Hougentogler, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.