Welcome to the Office of Disability Support Services
2021 Fall Semester
- The physical DSS office is open by appointment only. Please call 302-831-4643 during business hours (8am-5pm Monday-Friday) or email email@example.com for assistance.
- Students should request accommodations for fall semester and send faculty notification emails through SAM. For any fall classes that will be taught online, DSS will also notify UD Online of your testing accommodations, so they can be provided to you in the online testing platform.
- The DSS Test Accommodation Center is open, Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 5:30 pm. Tests must be scheduled in SAM at least 5 business days prior to the scheduled test date. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the testing center will have limited testing slots available. Your test request in SAM must be approved by a DSS proctor to be finalized. Please call 302-831-8948 during business hours (8 am – 5:30 pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Testing Center Updates
For Students: Due to occupancy restrictions, dictated by COVID-19 guidelines, the testing center will be limited to 75% capacity. Available time slots are on a first come, first served basis. Your test request must be approved by a DSS proctor to finalize the time slot. As a reminder tests must be scheduled 5 business days prior to the scheduled test day. DSS strongly recommends that you sign up for all your scheduled exams immediately. Specific instructions on how to manage your testing accommodations can be found on the DSS Test Accommodation Center page.
For Faculty: Due to occupancy restrictions in the testing center, we are currently limited to 75% capacity. While every effort will be made to accommodate students at the time and day of their exam, we are anticipating a lag time of up to 48 hours due to our limited capacity. There may be times when the student cannot take the test at the same time or day of the class. Thank you for your understanding and please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.
Please note that for the Fall 2021 Semester exams will NOT be delivered to department offices. Exams will be scanned and emailed directly to the professor OR professors can pick up the test in the TAC Center. Tests that utilize scantrons will need to be picked up in the TAC. No tests will be sent through interoffice mail.
Below are frequently asked questions to address common queries about the fall 2021 semester:
How to Register with DSS
We’re happy you have chosen to attend UD and are eager to assist you while you are here. The Office of Disability Support Services (DSS) provides accommodations and services to incoming and current UD students with disabilities, psychological or medical conditions, or temporary injuries that limit their access to the UD environment.
Some examples of the academic accommodations and services we provide are testing accommodations (e.g. reduced distraction testing environment, extended time, etc.), alternative print media, and assistive technology.
In order to receive accommodations through DSS, you will need to submit documentation verifying the presence of a disability or chronic medical condition, and meet with an Accommodation Coordinator to determine what accommodations will be most helpful for you. Documentation establishes the individual as a person with specific functional limitations and provides a rationale for reasonable accommodations.
Students should use the Student Accommodation Manger (SAM) to register with the DSS office. Students can use SAM to review accommodations, request faculty notification emails, schedule exams, and request books in alternate formats.
Housing for Academic Year 2021-22
If you have general questions about the 2021-22 housing application process, please visit the Residence Life & Housing website for important updates and information.
- Returning Students – If there are NO changes to the accommodations you previously requested, you ONLY need to complete page 2 “Student Section” of the Housing Accommodation Request Form (PDF). If NEW accommodations are being requested, the “Housing Accommodation Request Form” will need to be completed by a doctor requesting the new/different accommodations. Send the completed information by email to email@example.com or drop off in person to the DSS office. DO NOT upload this form in SAM.
- Incoming Students – By May 17, 2021, complete and submit the Housing Accommodation Request Form (PDF) to the DSS office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 302-831-3261. During the pandemic, please do not mail or drop off the paperwork to the DSS Office. DO NOT upload this form in SAM.
Space permitting, requests submitted after the deadline may result in a delay or inability to receive a housing assignment that meets your accommodations.