Kurzweil 3000 Instructions
Kurzweil 3000 is an assistive technology, text to speech, learning tool that supports the concept of Universal Design for Learning with a suite of powerful reading, writing, test-taking, and study skill tools that makes curricula accessible to all students. It is particularly appropriate for students with learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, those who require reading intervention, students struggling with reading comprehension and English Language Learners (ELL). Additional information on Kurzweil can be located on the Kurzweil website.
You can open almost any electronic file type with Kurzweil 3000, including Word, PDF, HTML, and EPUB. For help using Kurzweil including new features and updates, check out Kurzweil Academy.
Obtain Username and Password.
- You will get a username and password for Kurzweil 3000 at your registration meeting or Assistive Technology Meeting.
- Your will receive a confirmation email from Kurzweil Education Customer Service with the subject “Kurzweil Account Activated”. The email will contain your username and password, so SAVE this email.
- Once you have your Kurzweil login, you are ready to use the Kurzweil web application from any device with a browser and an internet connection. You are can open documents from your local drive, Google Drive or Bookshare account from any web browser by using Kurzweil 3000.
For full functionality, download and install Kurzweil 3000 on your PC or Mac
- Download the Web License version installer file. Make sure to choose the “web license” version from the download options. Note the installer files are very large and may take a long time to download, especially if your connection is slow.
- Install the software on your computer
- Double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation process
- Follow the prompts to install the software on your hard drive
- Be sure to choose the Web License version, if asked
- Log in to the software using your Kurzweil username and password. You will need to be connected to the internet the first time you log in. After that you will be able to use Kurzweil offline, if necessary.
Use Kurzweil 3000 Web Application to Read the Web
- Open up Google Chrome
- Go to the Chrome web store
- Search for “Kurzweil”
- Select “Read The Web”
- Once installed, go to any website. A pop will appear on your screen asking for your Kurzweil login. Once logged in, you will see a set of controls and will be able to use Kurzweil to read the web.
From the Kurzweil Software
- Log into Kurzweil (if you have not downloaded it to your local computer, see above links)
- Select READ from the menu that runs across the top (the one at the very top that includes File, Edit, Scan, etc.)
- Select READ THE WEB from the dropdown menu
- A new browser window will open and a Kurzweil toolbar will appear at the top of the browser window.
- You must open the browser from inside of Kurzweil in order for it to read.
Note: The first time you use this feature, you may be instructed to install the KESI add-on. Follow the on-screen directions or contact the DSS office for assistance.