Housing Accommodations

Use the forms below for Housing Accommodations.

Important: DO NOT SUBMIT these forms in SAM.  Upon completion, submit the Housing Accommodation Request Form to the DSS office either by email (dssoffice@udel.edu),  by fax to 302-831-3261, or in-person to the DSS Office located in Alison Hall, Suite 130.

  1. Housing Contract Release Request
  2. Housing Accommodations Request

Housing for Academic Year 2024-2025

Students must submit the housing accommodation paperwork to the DSS office AND also complete a housing application with Residence Life & Housing by the posted deadline. Visit their website or contact their office directly to get more information about applying for on-campus housing, important updates, and information.

  • Returning Students – Deadline is February 29, 2024. If there are NO changes to the accommodations you previously requested, you ONLY need to complete page 2 “Student Section” of the Housing Accommodation Request Form (PDF).  If NEW accommodations are being requested, the “Housing Accommodation Request Form” will need to be completed by a doctor requesting the new/different accommodations.  Send the completed information by email to dssoffice@udel.edu or drop off in person to the DSS office. DO NOT upload this form in SAM.
  • Incoming Students – Deadline is May 31, 2024, complete and submit the Housing Accommodation Request Form (PDF) to the DSS office by email to dssoffice@udel.edu or by fax to 302-831-3261. During the pandemic, please do not mail or drop off the paperwork to the DSS Office. DO NOT upload this form in SAM.

Space permitting, requests submitted after the deadline may result in a delay or inability to receive a housing assignment that meets your accommodations.

Service and Emotional Support Animals

Service Animals

A service animal is a guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to take a specific action when needed to assist a person with a disability (ADA, 1990). Service animals are not required to be registered with the University, however, students may choose to register their animal in the University of Delaware Service Animal Registry. This voluntary registry is for public use; for example, to ensure that emergency staff knows to look for service animals during an emergency evacuation process.

Emotional Support Animals (ESAs)

Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) are animals that provide a sense of safety, companionship, and comfort to those with psychiatric or emotional conditions. Because they have not been trained to do a specific task, they do not qualify as a service animal under ADA or Delaware law.

Service Animals and ESAs on Campus

Animals are not permitted in any University building, except for service animals and animals used in teaching or research. Service animals are permitted to accompany their owner everywhere on campus except in situations where safety may be compromised (due to chemicals, living organisms, or health and safety issues). ESAs may be approved to be on campus on a case-by-case basis that is determined by the Office of Disability Support Services and based on individual need. The university must approve ESAs prior to entering student housing. For more information, please contact the DSS office at dssoffice@udel.edu.

Residence Hall Fire Safety

Please review important safety information on Residence Hall Fire Safety for Individuals with Disabilities (PDF)