To request alternate format:
- Select Accessible Alternative Formats as an accommodation when requesting your Faculty Notification emails in SAM. It must be one of your approved accommodations.
- Log into SAM, go to My Accommodations, and click on Alternative Formats.
- Under Additional Book or Reading Material, enter your book request and relevant information. Select the class from the drop down menu. Complete textbook information for each class in which alternate format is requested. Textbook information can be found on the UD Bookstore website, if needed.
- Click Submit Request.
- You must submit your proof of ownership to DSS (email@example.com) before any alternate format material will be released.
- Refer to the Alternate Format tab under My Accommodations to view the status of books that are currently being processed.
- Check your UD email for messages from “dss-altbook” with instructions and updates on status of production.
Important considerations when requesting alternate format materials:
- DSS works to provide alternative format course materials promptly. To that end, we ask that you manage your accommodation requests accordingly.
- To provide students with the best experience and access, please submit your book requests through SAM at least three weeks before the beginning of classes. Due to the nature of obtaining and converting print materials, this window of time is essential in assuring materials will be ready for the beginning of the semester. We realize that some professors may not have their syllabi ready and/or the required books may not yet be available; however, if the requests are submitted late, DSS cannot guarantee the request will be completed by the start of the semester.
- A helpful place to find course information and required textbooks is the University of Delaware Bookstore
- Provide proof of purchase (book or rental receipts) for the materials requested and submit a copy of your course syllabus to the DSS Alternate Format Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as it is available. The course syllabus is critical so we can prioritize the production of your materials appropriately.
- DSS will notify you when a textbook is unobtainable in electronic format. You will need to submit your textbook to the DSS staff for scanning. We will remove the book’s binding, scan the book into an electronic-alternative format, and rebind your book with spiral binding. Textbooks will be returned once the scanning and rebinding are complete (typically one week). Keep in mind that this does not generally have a negative impact on the resale value of your textbook.
- If this is your first time using Kurzweil 3000 or other text-to-speech software, you will meet with the Assistive Technology Manager for training including specific instructions on how to download the software to your computer. You will be provided with a username and password and other materials to get you started.
- Any questions can be directed to the DSS office or the Assistive Technology Manager.
Remember…it is a violation of federal copyright law and DSS policies to share, duplicate, or distribute alternate text media. Disregard for this regulation may result in legal action against the violator, or other sanctions or penalties.