The UD NMR Laboratory is a chemistry laboratory. All regulations and safety trainings required by University EHS for any chemistry laboratory on campus apply here. In case of emergency, please contact EHS (302-831-8475) and/or UD Public Safety (302-831-2222) directly.

Superconducting magnets have very strong magnetic fields. The stray magnetic field outside of the magnet can be tens to hundreds of times stronger than that of the earth’s magnetic field strength (~0.5 gauss). A magnetic field strength of less than 5 gauss (5 G) is considered to be safe. The 5 G line for each magnet in our laboratory is indicated by black/yellow or red markings near the magnet.

Keep metal tools out of the magnet lab! Make sure your cellphone, wallets and other electronic devices stay outside of the 5 G line. Please keep in mind that the closer you get to the magnet, the stronger the magnetic force you will be experiencing.

One potential hazard with superconducting magnets is that they contain large amounts of cryogenic gases (liquid nitrogen and liquid helium). When a magnet quenches, cryogenic liquid instantaneously turns into gas and occupies the whole lab space very quickly. People in the lab may experience suffocation because of the lack of oxygen. Leave the lab immediately if the oxygen sensors in the lab are set off.

People with pacemakers and other metallic medical implants are not allowed enter the lab.