Saturday July 30, 2022
Delaware State Fair 4-H Centre
General Rules, Regulations and Entry
For special accommodations in accessing this event please notify the extension office one month prior to the event.
1. Selection of Teams, Contestants, and Eligibility
A. Any 4-H club may enter one or more teams that can consist of two (2) to four (4) members each. A single competitor does not constitute a team and may not compete as such.
B. All contestants must have passed their 8th birthday and may not have passed their 19th birthday as of January 1 of the current year. There is only one division in this event.
C. Contestant and team entry and eligibility must be certified by the club and/or organizational leader
D. Entries must be made online through the Delaware State Fair website www.delawarestatefair.com by June 1. Teams should be entered once under the club name.
2. Questions will be from: National 4-H Avian Bowl Manual 2016 version
Teams should order the manual through the Clemson University bulletin room. The cost is $15.00 per copy and may be ordered online using either a VISA or Mastercard by going to:
Dillard Building 105 Klugh Avenue Clemson, SC 29634 (864) 656-0281 (phone); (864) 656-0687 (fax); Attn: Shannell Mathis email@example.com
Order online from Clemson University: https://secure.touchnet.net/C20569_ustores/web/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=1587&SINGLESTORE=true
2022 Study Sections:
All questions and answers will come from the following material in the 2016 version of the Avian Bowl Manual: · Poultry judging – Online National Poultry Judging Manual (Past production hens printable pdf, pages 1-2 only)
· Understanding food prisoners (All)- pages 17-20
· Avian systems (Reproduction only)- pages 35-38
· Breeds, varieties, and strains (Mediterranean through AOSB only)- pages 75-80
· Raising game birds (Disease control through Laws only)- pages 94-99
· Eggcyclopedia (Partnership for food safety through Zeaxanthin only)- pages 139-151B
· Raising your home chicken flock (All)- pages 151C-161
· Biosecurity (All)- pages 179-180
· Avian influenza (All) – Pages 181-182
3. Method of Play
There will be three types of questions used:
· Regular questions (worth 1 point each) to which any member of either team may respond. If a regular question is answered incorrectly, it is then offered to the other team for a chance to answer.
· Toss-up questions (worth 1 point each) to which any member of either team may respond. [The only difference between a regular and a toss-up question would be that toss-up questions would have a bonus question attached to each and, in general, would be somewhat more difficult than the regular questions.]
· Bonus questions (worth a pre-determined 1-3 points); all parts of the bonus question must be answered before any points will be awarded. No part of the bonus question will be repeated, nor will any additional information be given to the contestants relative to the questions. Any member of the team winning the toss-up may provide answers to bonus questions. Contestants on the same team may confer with each other prior to answering a bonus question. If a bonus question is answered incorrectly it is not offered to the other team for a chance to answer.
There will be no spelling questions. Points will not be deducted for incorrect answers. The decision of the judge as to the acceptability of an answer will be final.
If a question is interrupted during the reading of it, the moderator will stop reading as soon as a buzzer is activated. The contestant has five seconds after being acknowledged, to begin their answer. If the answer given is correct for the way the question was written, it will be accepted. If the answer given is correct for only the portion of the question heard, but wrong for the way the question is written, the answer will not be accepted. If the question was interrupted, the judges will not be allowed to ask for any type of clarification of the answer given.
The Delaware State Fair will award premiums to the top three teams in competition.
Team Awards: 1st 2nd 3rd
$100 $50 $25
For additional information please contact Susan Truehart Garey, Extension Agent Animal Science, firstname.lastname@example.org or (302)730-4000.