On this edition of The Music Room, we spoke with Grammy Award nominated musician Darren Nicholson, the mandolin player of the bluegrass group Balsam Range. After being involved in over 25 albums released since 2002, collaborating with bands including Hazel Creek, The Crowe Brothers, the Alecia Nugent Band , and Audie Blaylock and Redline, Darren gives us a veteran’s perspective of the Bluegrass scene.
Over the course of the interview, we discuss the passion and friendly nature of the bluegrass community, Darren and his band mates’ experience living in Canton, NC, and how that influenced their album Papertown, and he previews their upcoming CD, expected in June of 2014. Darren also commented on several of the songs from Papertown, including the Gospel number “Row by Row.”
For more information, you can visit Darren’s website, Balsam Range’s website, and the homepage for the Delaware Valley Bluegrass Festival, where he and Balsam Range are scheduled to play this summer.
Darren Nicholson (Recorded 3/05/14; original broadcast date: 3/25/14; host: Mandorichard), 21:45, 21.0 MB. (Note: The songs released on Mountain Home/Crossroads were played in full on the radio broadcast, but are excerpted in the podcast version.)
The following music is heard in this episode of The Music Room:
- Artist / Song / Album (or note) / Label (or source) / Date / Notes
- Darren Nicholson / Sugar Creek Gap / Things Left Undone / Bearded Baby Productions / 2013
- Balsam Range / East Virginia Blues / Trains I Missed / Mountain Home, Crossroads / 2010 / Excerpt included in podcast
- Balsam Range / Papertown / Papertown / Mountain Home, Crossroads / 2012 / Excerpt included in podcast
- Balsam Range / Row by Row / Papertown / Mountain Home, Crossroads / 2012 / Excerpt included in podcast
- Balsam Range / Born Ramblin’ Man / Papertown / Mountain Home, Crossroads / 2012 / Excerpt included in podcast