Dear Delaware 4-H Leaders,
As the State 4-H Volunteer Coordinator, it is my pleasure to provide training opportunities for you as adult leaders to enhance the experience 4-H children have in our unique program. Starting today, the Stewards of Children training that has been conducted in all three of our counties over these last few months will be available online for our Delaware 4-H leaders. All of us on the 4-H staff have gone through the training, as have many of our 4-H leaders, and while it is by no means mandatory, we feel it important to offer this opportunity to as many members of the 4-H family as possible.
As adults, we are responsible for the safety of our children. It’s important to teach children how to recognize and avoid risky situations, but it’s unrealistic to think that a child can fend off sexual advances by an adult. Fortunately, we can protect them – by insisting on prevention policies in our youth serving organizations, by recognizing signs of sexual abuse, and by confronting and stopping abuse if it occurs.
What is Stewards of Children?
- A program that addresses child sexual abuse in the context of today’s issues.
- A program that features a combination of survivor stories, expert advice, and practical guidance.
- A program that shows you how a simple, 5-step approach can protect the children you love from sexual abuse.
What will I learn from taking Stewards of Children?
- You’ll learn The 5 Steps to Protecting our Children TM, and how they can be applied to keep kids safe.
- You’ll learn how a few simple actions can have far-reaching positive effects.
- You’ll leave with the understanding that child sexual abuse can be prevented, it can be stopped, and it can be overcome.
Please review the steps below in order to register online. This online portal was created specifically for Delaware 4-H and is free until January 1st. We would ask that you please register and get started on the training prior to January 1st in order to have your $10 registration fee waived. This training does not have to be completed in one seating and can be stopped and saved as needed en route to completion.
If you have trouble accessing the training, please follow the below links for the user’s guide and help with disabling pop-ups.
As always, should you have any questions or concerns, please call the 4-H office at 302-831-8965 and we will be happy to assist you!
Yours in 4-H,
Ernie Lopez State 4-H Volunteer Coordinator University of Delaware College of Agriculture and Natural Resources