The Partnership for the Delaware Estuary (PDE), a regional environmental nonprofit organization based in Wilmington, Delaware, is seeking to fill the position of Business Director. We are looking for an experienced individual to organize and oversee the daily operations of our organization to ensure that our nonprofit business is well coordinated and productive by managing and implementing effective procedures that support our 30 person staff.
The ideal candidate will have senior management experience in a dynamic setting. The role requires outstanding organizational, communications, and leadership skills and an ability to develop innovative business solutions that push boundaries. This position will collect and analyze data and help establish metrics to evaluate staff performance, lead and encourage employees to maximize performance, and foster a supportive environment. The Business Director will work closely with senior management to strategize and develop long-term plans that usher in new levels of business productivity and success for the company.
A Bachelor’s degree from a college or university in business administration or management or a similar field and 7 years of work experience, or at least 10 years of work experience in a related field is required. Strong direction, organizational, and coordination skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail are necessary. Experience in project direction, management, and facilitation are necessary for the job. For further details, please see full job description.
The pay for this position ranges from $90,000-95,000 depending on experience. This is a full time (35 hrs./week), exempt position with a competitive benefits package.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter through Indeed by close of business Friday, March 10.
Partnership for the Delaware Estuary, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of religious affiliation, race, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or any category that becomes protected by federal labor law. Candidates must be able to work legally in the United States.
SEND COVER LETTER WITH RESUME
The Business Director is a member of Partnership for the Delaware Estuary’s (PDE) leadership team and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization. The person in this position ensures the organization is managed and performing efficiently and effectively by fostering collaboration among PDE’s departments and diverse initiatives. The Director advises on the design, development, and implementation of PDE’s business practices.
- Oversees day-to-day business operations of the organization
- Plans and monitors day-to-day running of the business side to ensure smooth progress
- Establishes quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines and standards by which the companies efficiency and effectiveness can be evaluated
- Reviews, analyses, and evaluates business procedures
- Implements policies and procedures that will improve day-to-day operations
- Communicates and explains new directives, policies, or procedures to staff
- Ensures work environments are adequate, safe, and amendable to all staff
- Leads coordination and integration efforts among sections to produce smoother work flow
- Oversees the training of PDE managers
- Oversees organizational structure including job descriptions, salary structure, and growth alignment
- Heads performance evaluation system and ensures they are timely and constructive
- Assesses business needs and works collectively to project, implement, and fund these needs
- Manages relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors through contract review
- Ensures that the company runs with legality and conformity to established regulations
- Guides and approves strategic programmatic prioritization for funded projects
- Oversees cadre-level problem solving
- Delegates work tasks to staff and volunteers as appropriate
- Identifies opportunities to position PDE within the broader regional context and improve PDE’s administrative capabilities
- Identifies business opportunities to improve PDE’s operations
2. Supports overall functions of the organization
- Develops and implements policies and procedures
- Seeks constant improvement of business practices
- Identifies business funding opportunities
- Facilitates the connection between PDE priorities with business funding opportunities
- Supervises staff including hiring, evaluating, motivating and training
- Identifies current and future challenges and solutions for the PDE business
- Works towards all staff having the tools and resources that are needed, along with the proper training
- Works to support the advancement of the goals in PDE’s Strategic Plan and the Delaware Estuary Program’s Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan
- Serves as an ambassador for PDE
- Serves as lead for identifying and implementing PDE’s IT functions
- Serves as lead for managing facilities
- Performs other tasks as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree from a college or university in business administration or management or a similar field and 7 years of work experience, or at least 10 years of work experience in a related field
2. Experience in project direction, management, and facilitation
3. Strong direction, organizational, and coordination skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
4. Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines
5. In-depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles
6. Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
7. Excellent analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
8. Thorough understanding of practices, theories and policies involved in business and finances of non-profits
9. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse public and private constituencies
10. Very experienced in leading and working in a team environment with staff, partners and volunteers
11. Proficient in MS Office, and Google suites
12. Excellent written and oral communication skills
13. Valid United States driver’s license and ability to travel to external meetings/field work as needed
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
1. Proven experience as a Business Director or equivalent position
Time spent in this position will be split between being in an office setting, and external meetings. Occasionally, there will be tasks completed in a storage/warehouse facility or in field locations (outdoor, rural settings). Work hours may shift depending on the tides or project assignment. Occasionally, there will be a need to work on a weekend day.
The incumbent should be able to lift 40 pounds. The incumbent should be able to sit and stand for at least 4hours at a time.
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct reports: Office Administrator
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $90,000.00 – $95,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- We regularly evaluate the current COVID situation and change office rules accordingly.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Wilmington, DE 19801: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Apply at the job description on Indeed.com