The Center for Biomechanical Engineering Research (CBER) at the University of Delaware offers a comprehensive Research Experience for Undergraduates who “Dare to BE FIRST” which will establish Biomechanical Engineering Foundations in Impactful Research, Science and Technology (BE FIRST). We will take advantage of faculty expertise in osteoarthritis research to train qualified minority undergraduate students in essential research skills for biomedical engineering.
A total of 12 students will be selected every year, and they spend 10 summer weeks in a biomechanics research lab and benefit from state‐of‐the‐art facilities, mentorship, and workshops to conduct an independent research project.
What the Program Provides
- 10-week long full time summer research experience
- A research advisor and host bioengineering laboratory
- $6,000 stipend for each student
- University housing supplement
- hands‐on experience in a research laboratory
- scientific and professional development workshops
- research lab and clinical site visits
- opportunities for networking
- interdisciplinary communication with scientists from graduate students to orthopaedic surgeons
- university‐wide research symposium
Funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF #1460757)
PI: Jill S. Higginson and X. Lucas Lu