Congratulations to the 2019-2020 BiSA Officers:
President – Heidi Van Every
Vice President – Riza Li
Treasurer – Menolin Sharma
Secretary – Adam Faranda
Join BiSA for happy hour!
Meet and chat with Matthew Ralston, who will be visiting us from Bristol-Myers Squibb.
INFORMATICS AND COLLABORATION, A MILLENIAL’S PERSPECTIVE
Bioinformatic ‘big data’ is only getting bigger. Did you know that the Broad Institute has sequenced over 70 petabytes of data, more than Netflix’s entire 3.14 petabyte digital library? As the depth and complexity of biological data increases, so does the need for informaticians and communicators with modern skillsets and robust digital portfolios. However, there are more software technologies and modeling approaches to master than ever before. Developing expertise, differentiating, and generalizing in your technical skills are major career choices but industry rarely helps students understand the ROI of the various skills. By discussing both new trends and steadfast challenges in pharmaceutical informatics, I hope to give you insight into whether that next technology or programming language is worth learning.
Matt Ralston is a University of Delaware and CBCB alumni. From 2008 to 2012, he studied biochemistry and worked in the Helen Graham Center for Translational Cancer Research before coming to the CBCB. Studying under Dr. Terry Papoutsakis, he completed his master’s thesis in early 2015. Currently, he works in the Computer-Assisted Drug Design group of Bristol-Myers Squibb. While he’s not working, Matt plays guitar, meets his friends at the gym, and works with youth in his community, and develops open source bioinformatics algorithms.
* Car pools from DBI will be available!
Date: March 18, 2019
Location : DBI
Participants: Kelly and Priscilla
Minutes by Kelly Mulholland
◦ Happy hour was cancelled last week
◦ Priscilla has emailed Matt Ralston to schedule a happy hour on March 25 following seminar
◦ Kelly will make invites and send out
Software Carpentry Workshop
◦ Send invitations to Rowan, Del State, Del Tech and Temple students
◦ We will keep this event limited to grad students
◦ May charge $5 to cover additional costs
◦ Will start advertising after spring break
◦ Priscilla will look into catering
◦ Kelly emailed Andrea to book DBI. However, we may need to book a larger space if we have over 60 participants
2019-2020 BiSA Officer Elections
◦ Kelly will send nomination email out after spring break. Elections to be held mid-May
◦ Bowling/Movies/etc. in April
◦ End of semester picnic in May