ACE participants take the 5 classes required for EL/Bilingual Teacher certification by the Delaware Department of Education:
- EDUC 672 – Teaching English as a Second Language
- EDUC 740 or LING 699 – Literacy Instruction for English Language Learners
- LING 676 – Second Language Acquisition & Bilingualism
- LING 677 – The Structure of English
- LLCU 624 – Second Language Testing
All courses earn three graduate credits. The program takes approximately 15-18 months to complete. Online participation may be possible.
The Delaware Department of Education also requires a passing score of 149 on the Praxis II ESOL test (5362) for certification as a Teacher of English Learners. Bilingual teachers do not need to take Praxis but must also demonstrate proficiency in their non-English language and must hold another subject or area certification.
Several sources of funding may be available to substantially reduce the cost of tuition. For more information, please see our FAQ page.
In addition, it is possible to apply the 5 ACE courses towards UD’s MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (subject to admission requirements).
For more information, please contact us.