The ACE initiative is an affordable course of study for current Delaware teachers to earn an additional certification in as a Teacher of English Learners or a Bilingual Teacher. The 5 courses required by the Delaware Department of Education are offered by University of Delaware faculty through a collaboration between the UD College of Education and Human Development, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the English Language Institute.
We are planning a new cohort to start in Fall 2019. Teachers from all Delaware counties are invited. The program will last approximately 15 months.
Please complete this form to express an interest. We expect to offer some courses in Newark, Georgetown, and Dover.
ACE participants take the 5 classes required for EL/Bilingual Teacher certification in Delaware in formats modified for full-time teachers:
- EDUC 672 – Teaching English as a Second Language (taught in person in Newark and/or Georgetown)
- EDUC 740 – Literacy Instruction for English Language Learners (taught in person in Wilmington and/or Dover)
- LING 676 – Second Language Acquisition (taught in a summer intensive course in Dover)
- LING 677 – The Structure of English (blended course — half online plus meetings in Newark and/or Georgetown)
- LLCU 624 – Second Language Testing (fully online)
All courses are three credits and are restricted to ACE Teachers and are taught by University of Delaware faculty under the coordinator of the English Language Institute.
Please note that the Delaware Department of Education also requires a passing score of 149 on the Praxis II ESOL test (5362) for certification as a Teacher of English Learners. Bilingual teachers do not need to take Praxis but must also demonstrate proficiency in their non-English language and must hold another subject or area certification.
Several sources of funding may be available to substantially reduce the cost of tuition. For more information, please see our FAQ page.
In addition, it is possible to apply the 5 ACE courses towards UD’s MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (subject to admission requirements).
For more information, please contact us.