Task Objectives & Cultural Engagement Targets:
- To identify opportunities for civic engagement at the host site, preferably with some relevance to course content where possible (Knowledge of the host site; Cultural engagement)
- To document personal engagement in civic tasks abroad (Cultural engagement)
- To reflect on the personal and societal impact of civic action (Cultural engagement)
Students engage in civic tasks relevant to course content, and reflect on the personal and societal impact of those efforts.
- Pre-departure. Students receive information about course-related opportunities for civic engagement at the host site, and are asked to prepare a plan of action (a brief document outlining personal objectives, specific civic activities, resources needed, and viable assessments to measure the impact of their civic engagement).
- Implementation of civic plan: Students carry out their civic engagement plans and document their activities on a regular basis (documentation may take the form of written reports, class presentations or audio-visual artifacts such a videos or multimedia blog entries).
- Final report. Students prepare a brief report assessing the effectiveness of their civic plan and comment on how it enhanced their mastery of course content.