Welcome to the Blue Hen Family!
We want to ensure family members of new students have the information, resources and support they need to help their Blue Hen thrive at UD and feel welcomed to our campus community.
The Family Orientation experience will include:
- Weekly Family Orientation emails throughout June and July
- A live orientation program, which you can attend either in-person or virtually with your student
- Live Zoom information sessions about important topics, including housing, dining, student financial services and more, offered throughout July and August
Information and resources will be available to families of new students through the Blue Hen Family Hub. Family members whose students will be starting at UD in fall 2022 will receive an email invitation to join the Blue Hen Family Hub in mid-June, at which time they will be able to access orientation content and a variety of other UD resources. You must sign up for the Blue Hen Family Hub in order to receive the weekly Family Orientation emails.
Your student can learn more about their summer NSO experience through the NSO portal within their My Blue Hen Home. The NSO portal will share details about each component of their NSO experience as well as registration forms for events, such as the live NSO program, virtual academic advisement, and virtual college pre-advisement sessions.
The entire Orientation and Transition Programs team is committed to making your orientation experience as meaningful as possible and to prepare your student to be a successful Blue Hen. If you have any questions, contact us at email@example.com.
Live NSO Program
All incoming students are welcome to register a parent, family member or guest to attend the live NSO program that takes place either in-person or virtually. More details about the new students’ orientation experience are available on our Orientation page.
Live NSO Program Schedule Overview
While students meet with the OLs, families will attend sessions about campus involvement, wellbeing, and family engagement from UD staff and administrators, in addition to hearing from student leaders about their experience as Blue Hens.
More specific details about the in-person and virtual versions of the live NSO program are available on our Orientation page.
Please note: Sessions about specific topics and resources such as residence life and housing, dining, student financial services, and campus safety will be offered as individual virtual sessions throughout the summer. Families will register for these virtual session opportunities through the Blue Hen Family Hub.
Family and Guest Registration for NSO
- If you choose to attend an in-person program, students may register up to two adult family members or guests (16 years or older) to attend with them. The cost for each family member or guest to attend is $35.
- If you choose to attend a virtual program, there is no limit or cost for family members or guests to attend with the student.
Students may add family members or guests up to 3 business days prior to their live NSO program date using the “Edit Registration” link in their registration confirmation email. After that time, call 302-831-3313 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to add family members or guests.
Student Orientation Fee
- New Student Checklist
- Banking, PNC
- 2022-23 Family Guide and Calendar [PDF]
- Newark Partnership Main Street Restaurant Map [PDF]
- Newark Restaurant Discounts for NSO 2021 [PDF]
- Housing, Student
- Understanding the Transition to College [PDF]
Additional links that may be helpful to your student during their transition to the University of Delaware can be found in the Resources section.
Keep in Touch
We’re excited that your student has chosen the University of Delaware, and hope you’ll keep in touch by subscribing to UDaily and signing up for the Blue Hen Family Hub. Details on Parents and Family Weekend, student successes, and new initiatives will be shared here throughout the year as well as through the UD Parent & Family Engagement site.
Families of students starting in fall 2022 will receive an email invitation to join the Blue Hen Family Hub in mid-June 2022.