Orientation and Transition Programs Welcomes You to University of Delaware!
OTP’s primary goal is to provide you and your family with the tools you need to explore UD’s offerings, access important resources, learn about a wide range of activities and programs, and discover what it means to be a “Fightin’ Blue Hen.”
To ensure your successful transition to UD, this site has information about OTP and the University, including important tasks you’ll need to complete before arriving on campus.
New Student Orientation (NSO)
June 20–July 19, 2023
(for new students entering UD in fall, 2023)
NSO covers important topics such as student life, academics and registration, and safety and wellbeing. During your orientation, you will meet your new classmates; learn about your College; and interact with the orientation staff.
Your NSO experience includes:
- A live orientation program, which you can participate in on-campus or virtually, your choice!
- A self-paced online orientation course through Canvas, UD’s Learning Management System
- A virtual academic advising appointment within your chosen college, and a live virtual academic information session
- A variety of live Zoom information sessions about important topics, including housing, dining, Student Financial Services and more offered throughout July and August
Associate in Arts
Students admitted to the Associates in Arts program should visit the Associate in Arts website for additional information about orientation. Associate in Arts students are oriented on their home campuses in August.
Even though you may have attended orientation at your previous institution, you must attend orientation at UD to learn about our campus’s resources, meet with an academic advisor in your College, and interact with other incoming transfer students. Learn more about TSO.
World Scholars attend a pre-departure orientation facilitated by the Institute for Global Studies in the summer and then participate in NSO before the beginning of spring semester on main campus. World Scholars can find more information about the program on the World Scholars website.
Advocacy and Support
Throughout your time at UD, you can always contact the Dean of Students whenever you have a question, a concern, or a problem to solve and you don’t know where to begin. ODS can also be reached in 101 Hullihen Hall, or via phone at 302-831-8939.
UD Welcome Days
UD's opening weekend celebration offers opportunities for students to connect with their new community, explore all that UD has to offer, and consider how they will contribute during their time here.
For fall 2023, details about what you can expect for UD Welcome Days will be available soon.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up for NSO sessions and events?
You can sign up for NSO sessions and events on the NSO portal within your My Blue Hen Home. The NSO portal will open in April, 2023.
Do family members need to attend a live NSO program?
While we encourage families to attend the live NSO program, it is completely optional. As part of the live NSO program, families will attend overview sessions about academics, health and wellbeing, student life, and university resources. Please note that families will attend sessions separately from their students for the majority of the live orientation program.
Families will also have access to orientation content through the Blue Hen Family Hub, and they can choose to attend various virtual topical information sessions about housing, dining, student financial services, and more. Families of students starting at UD in fall 2023 will receive an invitation to join the Blue Hen Family Hub in mid-June 2023.
When can I start the online orientation course in Canvas?
The online orientation course in Canvas will be available in mid-June for students beginning in fall 2023. New students will receive a course invitation at their UD email address on or after Tuesday, June 6, 2023, to begin exploring the various sections.
How do I schedule an appointment with an academic advisor for fall 2023?
Students will receive more information on how to schedule a virtual advising appointment through their My Blue Hen Home and via email in June, 2023.
How do I reschedule my academic advisement appointment or Meet Your College session?
To reschedule your academic advisement or Meet Your College session, use the “Edit Registration” link in your confirmation email to select a different appointment or session. If you need assistance, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When will the live NSO programs be offered? Is registration open?
The live NSO programs, offered virtually, will take place weekdays, June 20 through July 19, 2023. Visit your NSO portal when it opens in April on your My Blue Hen Home or the Orientation page for more details. You can choose to attend an in-person full-day or virtual half-day orientation program.
Registration for live NSO programs will open in the NSO portal in April, 2023.
How do I access the online orientation course in Canvas?
New students will access the online orientation course by logging into Canvas at https://sites.udel.edu/canvas/ with their UD credentials. Students should complete all sections, or modules, to make the most of their NSO experience.
Students entering in fall 2023 will have access to the course in mid-June.
Do I have to complete the online orientation course if I attend a live NSO program?
Yes, all new students should complete the online orientation course in Canvas as part of their NSO experience. To learn more about how to access the course, visit the Orientation page.
When do UD Welcome Days begin?
Fall UD Welcome Days, students’ extended orientation to UD, begins on Friday, August 25, and runs through Monday, August 28. Schedule details will be available in August through the UD Connect app.
- Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics | 302-831-4369
- Biden School of Public Policy & Administration | 302-831-1687
- College of Agriculture & Natural Resources | 302-831-2508
- College of Arts & Sciences | 302-831-3020
- College of Earth, Ocean and Environment | 302-831-2841
- College of Education and Human Development | 302-831-2396
- College of Engineering | 302-831-8659
- College of Health Sciences | 302-831-8073
- Honors College | 302-831-1195
- University Studies (Undeclared) 302-831-4555
- Academic Enrichment, Office of | 302-831-4555
- Admissions | 302-831-8123
- Banking, PNC | 302-733-7241
- Billing | 302-831-2126
- Bookstore, UD | 302-831-2637
- Campus Recreation | 302-831-8600
- Dining Services | 302-831-6761
- Disability Support Services | 302-831-4643
- Financial Aid | 302-831-2126
- International Students & Scholars, Office of | 302-831-2115
- IT Support Center | 302-831-6000
- Registrar, University | 302-831-2131
- Student Financial Services | 302-831-2126
- Student Veteran Resources | 302-831-0552
- Transfer Student Resources | 302-831-1554
- University Police | 302-831-2222
Office of the Dean of Students
Center for Counseling & Student Development
Community Standards & Conflict Resolution
Fraternity & Sorority Leadership and Learning
Orientation & Transition Programs
Residence Life & Housing
Student Diversity & Inclusion
Student Health Services
Student Services for Athletes
Student Wellness & Health Promotion
UD Career Center
University Student Centers