Wishing to Cross Over, by Anthony Kathreptis

As I approach the creek time begins to slow down. The flow of the water is slow. Smooth gentle ripples blur the water like a Monet painting. Within the ripples, air bubbles pop up to the surface. The slow flow of the water carries decaying leaves, most of which are of brown, yellow, and pale red colors, with some hints of green. The surrounding vegetation in the creek has all green-leaved trees so the decaying leaves came from upstream.

Beneath me lies a ground covered with a forest of moss and clover. The bright green color and fuzzy texture of the moss juxtaposes nicely against the darker green and fun shape of the clover. Tiny plants are also spread throughout the ground, but the moss and clover are the main stars of this floor. Oddly, I’m having a really good time staring at the clover. I love their interesting shapes and the way they move when a breeze comes by, and that there are so many of them bunched up together like a happy family. They’re rubbing their happiness off on me. I can’t wipe the smile off my face.

Startled from the sound of fast movement parading through the forest, I look up. Across the creek, three deer with puffy white tails dash across the forest, like stallions in the sunset. One leads the way, perhaps a mother, or friend, etc. She comes to a stop to walk slowly over some flat boulders. She turns to the right and then turns to the left. At that moment I could see a perfect glimpse of her face. Purity and freedom were shining in her brown eyes. Although our eye contact was brief, I felt as if we had made a connection in some way. Motioning forward she then took some careful steps over the rocky terrain. I could see the motion of the careful placement of her legs through her muscle movements. The trio then began to pick up their pace and continue their journey. I wonder where they were going.

Surrounding the creek I can’t help but admire the varying lights and shadows. The sunlight trickles through branches, displaying unique dendritic shadows near my feet. The sun also begins to shine its rays on the trees and shrubs on the other side of the creek, every few minutes or so, illuminating a new tree or shrub that I haven’t noticed. It seems that the sun is trying to shine its light on different vegetation, maybe using its powers to make me aware of the different natural beauties of the creek?

I can sense the flow of the creek. The flow of the water, the decaying leaves, the warm breeze and the gentle falling of the leaves into the water. It’s all very cyclic, repeating over and over again.

I can feel the life on the other side of the creek. No paths on the other side allowed nature to flourish. A blue bird, what I think is a blue jay, glides by. Across the creek, four butterflies flutter around near the water. Vibrant yellow flowers line the soil in patches. The wind picks up. Gentle breezes caress my face. With the increase in wind comes the vibrating of the leaves. The creek is welcoming me with the song and swayed dance of the leaves. The wind gets stronger. The more the wind picks up, the more I believe that it wants to lift me up and carry me to the deer, to discover their secret lives and to join them across the creek.

Oh, what I would do to be on the other side. Living the typical young American life is boring. Study. Eat. Class. Repeat. Think about your future! I really never wanted any of this. Being born into the typical American lifestyle is boring. It’s like a cycle. School. Work. Marriage. Kids. Death. We are expected to follow these rules. But the only thing I ever really wanted was to have a small cottage in the woods, with a garden. A peaceful life. I could eat from the garden and make art all day. A life entangled with nature. A life entangled with creativity. Behind me lies a road. In front of me lies a creek. The other side of the creek lies my true desires. A life with no stress, a cottage, a simple life. One day I’ll be ready to follow those deer, but not yet. For now I have to continue what’s expected of me.