Guiding Shifts at Winterthur: Reflections on My First Semester

Snuggled in a thick blanket, looking out the window to a snowy day, I am shocked to think of all that I, and my fellow first years, have experienced in our first semester at Winterthur. As cliché as this may sound, my move to Delaware in July seems like it was just yesterday. This is because the past five months have been jam-packed! The WPAMC Class of 2018 has completed an intensive summer institute in August and a full semester of new research and “close looking” in our fall semester classes. Furthermore, we survived—and enjoyed—our first shifts leading tours for visitors to Winterthur.

sarablog1

Summer view of Winterthur, taken during an introductory group tour of the grounds.

During Summer Institute, we took introductory tours as incognito visitors. These tours served as informal introductions to the history of the Winterthur Estate and the du Pont family. In the following days, various individuals in departments across the museum formally trained us about the history of Winterthur and the narrative of the introductory tour given to guests. We went on a garden walk-through with the estate historian, and we completed detailed room studies of the fifth floor. We even did a guiding workshop based off the popular Food Network TV show “Chopped!” to improve our story-telling skills.

We were then charged to write our own introductory tour. After completing a practice walk-through, we were all cleared to be official guides at the museum. A requirement for our program is to complete 12 guiding shifts, and we are lucky that the program ensures we have the best training to make these successful.

With some trepidation, I gave my first tour in September. With all of the information fresh in my mind, I delivered my tour to a couple of small groups. My groups seemed interested in the story of Henry Francis du Pont and his vision for his collection of early American antiques and the museum. They listened to me, and I attempted to be engaging. I think that I successfully hid my nerves. After giving my tour twice, I was done for the day. I thought to myself: Giving tours isn’t so bad, and it’s actually fun!

I resolved to complete all of my guiding shifts in my first semester, but then I was consumed by my courses and research. All of a sudden, the museum was decorating for Yuletide, and I had not yet completed my second tour shift! Both the first and second years spent a day in November training with the other guides for the new Yuletide tour. We completed more room studies on the first and fourth floors to prepare us to give the expanded Yuletide tours.

sarablog2

Montmorenci Staircase decorated for Yuletide at Winterthur. How many stockings can you count?

In the final weeks of the semester, I signed up for two Yuletide shifts, and many of my classmates signed up for more! One of my shifts was on a record-breaking Saturday. Seven hundred guests were given tours, including over 140 girl scouts! Winterthur’s guiding system worked like a well-oiled machine. At the end of the day – though the guides were tired and our throats raw – the festive atmosphere had still survived the busy schedule. My coursework in American material culture increased my confidence in my ability to give informative and engaging tours. Plus, the Yuletide tours are fun and festive!

Though my semester is over, I still have three semesters and nine guiding shifts left. I am looking forward to them all. If you come to visit Winterthur and take an introductory or Yuletide tour, you may be taken through the house by one of my classmates or me!

By: Sara McNamara, WPAMC Class of 2018