Singapore: Merlion Statute

Submitted by Audrey Cicerchia on the 2022 spring semester exchange program with the National University of Singapore…

It has been exactly two weeks since I touched down at Changi Airport to begin my semester long study abroad program at the National University of Singapore. While now it all seems like a blur, traveling here was no easy feat. Since the beginning of the pandemic, Singapore has put in place many restrictions in order to stop the spread of COVID-19, including on travel both in and out of the country. To be exempt from serving a 10 day stay-at-home notice, we had to fill out heaps of paperwork, obtain a special Vaccinated Travel Pass (VTP) and arrive on a specific pre-approved Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) flight.

Within the first several outings visiting Singapore’s most iconic sites, I began to notice how quiet they all were. We visited the famous Merlion Statue at Marina Bay, but it was not flocked with tourists taking silly photos as I had seen in all my guidebooks. Instead, we were actually the only people there on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. After speaking to several locals, I learned that the extensive and expensive requirements to enter the country deterred most short-term visitors who might have come on vacation. This has not only allowed me to see all the famous sites with ease, but I also now always know where the best hidden local spots are by just following the crowds!

The Merlion statue overlooking Marina Bay