Greece: Athena

Submitted by Sarah Tobin on the 2022 winter session program in Greece sponsored by the Department of English…

In my short time here so far, I have found that the Greeks are extremely welcoming and eager to engage with all of us. It is bustling just as much as any other city I have been to; however, it differs with its extremely hilly terrain, so much so that I often find myself saying “am I really this out of shape?!” Nonetheless, I am happy to say that this is one of the few obstacles I have faced since being here. One thing I have grown to love about Europe is their intention of community through the spaces they create. There is a place in my neighborhood known as Varnava Square. While it is quaint, it is scattered with a variety of cafes, bars and markets offering us students everything we would need and more.

Outside of our neighborhood there is a whole city that I am just beginning to explore. Named after Athena, the goddess of Wisdom and Warfare, Athens is rich with culture, creativity and courage. Just this week, my class and I have already gone on a variety of excursions including climbing to the top of the Acropolis to see the Parthenon among other renowned structures. There is something unique about being in the presence of these famous artifacts that create a one-of-a-kind experience. From starting our journey through the streets of Athens to then walking up the hill to the citadel of the Acropolis I was able to immerse myself into the timeless adventure that it was. I imagined people walking the same roads as me; so many years ago that I can’t even fathom. Then actually seeing the Parthenon with my own eyes, truly emphasized how large this temple was, let alone those surrounding it. It was a humbling experience knowing that before machines and technology, humans could create structures so grand. The entire time I was there, I was just wanting to go inside the temples to feel what it would be like. Going to the museum the next day it physically took me to that place, between the modern architecture and having the excavated pieces all in one room I felt that I truly got the full experience.

Nonetheless, the lessons that I learned while exploring are something that I intend on carrying with me. While exploring these many locations, I was taught all about Athena and what she symbolizes in Greece. Back in antiquity, the Greeks would worship their forty-plus foot statues of Athena at her temple and even dressed her in gold plated attire. This gold was not only for decoration, but also served as a reserve in case the city needed money – they quite literally were investing in Wisdom. This was wise as they would come to later remove the gold and use it for their greater good.

Later that day after adventuring around the Acropolis, my class read The Trial and Death of Socrates written by Plato. We analyzed the Socratic methods and pitied those who were faced with such confrontations themselves. In the section Apology, Socrates is giving his defense after being convicted of crimes that would lead him to the death penalty. The most significant being that he was “corrupting the youth” simply by questioning those in power, a gift that was presented to him through a mystical oracle. The general public came to dislike him because he was calling out individuals for having “false wisdom.” This story emphasizes the morals of Athena and how they went into play with ancient Greece. Tying into the modern world, this has a strong connection to how societies want to be perceived versus how they are. With this knowledge, it only motivates me to continue to follow my urge to explore the variety of cultures and customs across our globe – and this is just the beginning for me.

View overlooking Athens from the top of the Acropolis. The open green space down below is the remains of what was Zeus’ temple, once made up of one hundred marble columns.