Hawaii: Beautiful Things

Submitted by Jasmine Jade Newton on the 2022 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the Department of Biological Sciences…

This second week, we were able to see so many beautiful things. We went on excursions to see tide pools and view the different types of marine life that inhabited them. Additionally, we went on a seven mile beachside hike where we were blessed to see a black- footed albatross that had not been seen on land for about four years! The most exciting thing for me was when we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Beautiful nature surrounded the entire center and it was amazing to walk around and watch performances from almost every culture. My group had the topic of Hawaii, but there were other topics such as Fiji, Tahiti, etc. We tasted Tahitian coconut bread and Hawaiian poi that were given out in each designated area. We also learned how to hula dance! I learned a lot more about what hula means for Hawaiian culture. It’s not just dancing, hula is a way of storytelling and is of crucial importance to their culture. We all had a feast at the end of the day, in which we were told that eating with others is a meaningful way of celebrating. I also learned the saying “a’hui hou”, means until we meet again. That really stuck with me and I’m excited to continue to learn more Hawaiian sayings and words because I find the language very beautiful and intriguing. What a great second week!