Chile: Hike to the End of the World

Submitted by Alyssa Santiago on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Chile sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures…

This week, I took a huge leap outside of my comfort zone. If you know me, you know I am not the most athletic person out there. I like to keep myself busy so the gym does not always become a place I make it to in a day. But when I make the time, I do enjoy exercising especially nature walks. This past weekend, I went to Torres del Paine with my group for our free weekend and it was an experience I never thought I would have in my life. Torres del Paine is a part of Patagonia and called “the route to the end of the world” because it’s the closest point to Antarctica in the whole world. I trekked all 5 days for numerous hours on numerous different paths. Some of these paths were difficult for even experienced hikers. The weather conditions were brutal at times and the terrain was challenging. I was unsure about this trip until the first week here so my “hiking gear” consisted of a suede, over-sized, men’s jacket I thrifted, Reebok sneakers that are good for getting dirty, but are meant for dance and turning, two long sleeved shirts, a thermal, 2 sweatshirts (1 without a hood), a light turtleneck, and multiple pairs of ankle socks and leggings which are not the most substantial clothing items for the end of the world. On a normal day, we would hike for about 3 hours, eat a packed lunch, then hike another 3 hours, but on one of the days, we had to complete a 15 mile, 3,000 feet high, 8 hour hike with steep hills, slippery rocks, and lake water to get us by. This was a huge challenge for me and way out of my comfort zone, but I did it thanks to an amazing tour guide named Felipe that stood back with me when I was walking too slow, gave me a hand when I was slipping and falling, and replenished my water for me. My life will now be my life before that hike and after that hike. I was sore and in pain for almost the whole trek and even fell and scraped my knee during the first 2 hours, ripping my favorite pair of leggings, but I did it. Me. Pushing yourself way beyond your limits is how you grow as a person. I feel like that hike didn’t strength my muscles, but my mind. I am thankful that I am alive and well enough to even complete a trek like that. I met a woman on the way who was very sick for months and the first thing she did when she returned to health was that hike. I saw children of all ages on that hike as well as older people challenging themselves to complete it. You’re only as old as what you tell yourself. I learned a lot this day.