France: A Dream Come True

Submitted by Gabriella Garcia on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Paris, France sponsored by the Department of Art…

As a fashion major this program has been an absolute dream! This past week, we began dressing models for fashion shows. I could have never imagined that I’d be given this incredible opportunity. It truly feels like I’m dreaming every time I’m backstage working with the models and seeing the work that it takes to make these fashion shows possible.

Watching these shows are amazing as well. The locations for most of the shows are beyond beautiful. I am so grateful for this opportunity and can’t wait to continue working at the fashion shows.

After another week in Paris, I feel so much more comfortable with transportation and communicating with locals. One cultural difference I’ve noticed is that people are much slower in France. Everything is always so rushed in the U.S. For example, when we’re eating at restaurants they expect us to be staying for hours when really we just eat and leave. Due to the strikes in Paris right now, transportation has been difficult because the buses are always packed and certain metro lines don’t run, but I have gotten used to taking public transportation.