Spain: Student-Teacher Relationship

Submitted by Mackenzie Conners on the 2020 winter session program in Barcelona, Spain sponsored by the College of Education and Human Development…

Upon arriving in Spain for my three week study abroad program, I was unsure what to expect since I had never been to Europe before. After being here for a little over a week, I am in awe of the beautiful country that I am in and the opportunities that I have been provided, as well as the awesome people I have connected with in my program. We spent the first week sightseeing the beautiful sites that Barcelona has to offer like La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and even taking an off day to explore Port Vell and the beaches. I love this program because I feel like it is unique to the other programs my friends are currently on.

We have started our time at the St. Peter’s School, observing and working with students to help build our knowledge on classroom management and socio-emotional learning. This experience so far has been nothing short of amazing. The warm, friendly welcome from the teachers and students is something that is unmatched anywhere else. Seeing how different a public school in the United States is to a private school in Barcelona is quite interesting. I have learned that the schools here in Barcelona are much more laid back in a way that gives students the opportunity to be independent, starting as young as third grade. The teacher and student relationship is one that is nothing compared to that in the United States, either. The teachers and students here have such a loving and close relationship which makes for a great connection and interaction not only for the student and teacher, but for the whole class as well. As I continue with the rest of the week here and next week in the school, I am excited to expand my relationships with the teacher that I am observing and the students that already hold a special place in my heart.

First picture is from our off day at Port Vell, which was stunning.
Me in front of famous Park Guell, designed by Antoni Gaudi
Me and my friends/roommates here that I have made long lasting friendships with
La Sagrada Familia, which is the most beautiful church I have ever seen inside and out.