South Africa: A Bittersweet Goodbye

Submitted by Jessica Fogal on the 2018 winter session program in South Africa sponsored by the Department of Behavioral Health & Nutrition…

My last week in South Africa was bittersweet because we all knew it was coming to an end. The activities we did were great, but we knew they just meant that time was up! In many ways I am ready to go home, or maybe just bring a select group from home to me in South Africa. I am dreading going back to school and work in three days. I really wish I had more time to settle, although I wouldn’t have wanted my time to be cut short. (Just school to start later for me) I am anxious that “real life” will be a huge slap because it’s so abrupt. I’m also realizing all that I have learned and gained during my month here and that I’m not the same person I was when I left. I learned so much about what it means to just be human and I hope that will stick in my brain and lessen the reverse culture shock. Although the people in S0uth Africa are who showed me such new perspectives, people in the United States are people all the same so I have to keep that in mind. I will forever be thankful for this experience and I don’t have the words to explain the extent. Everyone and everything that lead me here I am appreciative for whether it was good or bad. I know when I’m graduated and in my career 15 years from now I will be able to remember this experience and all the people I experienced it with (especially Patrick).