Panama: Children Playing

Submitted by Dan Wilson on the 2017 winter session program in Panama sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

My study abroad experience didn’t start out so well. After making it to the airport late, I nearly missed making it to my gate on time. Thanks to the kindness of strangers, I quickly made it to the front of the security line and to my gate, only to find when I got there that the plane had been delayed. While waiting for my plane to board, I noticed how many parents were occupying their children with technology. Smart phones and tablets in every child’s hands. This would stand in stark contrast to what I would see in Panama. We finally arrived in Panama City and I found it ironic how the other students were intrigued by the city’s skyscrapers and Christmas lights when we have those at home. We visited the Panama Canal the next day, which was an impressive feat of construction and ingenuity, but otherwise underwhelming and a little boring. What I found more interesting was how many people, especially children, were spending their time outside. We saw kids playing with a parachute, which stirred memories of my own childhood, and the park was absolutely packed. I am just not used to seeing a scene like that back home. I remember going to a packed park as a child, but it just doesn’t seem to happen anymore. We traveled from Panama City to Santa Catalina where things are much less developed. From there, we went to Coiba Island. We’ve spent the last two days hiking and snorkeling and despite the coursework we’re finally getting to, it still seems more like a vacation than a school program. The people here are incredibly knowledgeable about their land, sea and animals. Tomorrow is our last day on this island before we head back to Santa Catalina for a day. In the downtime between activities, I find myself missing home more than I expected.