Argentina: Host Family

Submitted by Summer Tyler on the 2018 fall semester program in Buenos Aires, Argentina…

A few weeks before I arrived in Buenos Aires, I received an email with information about my host family. It had their names, address and a description of their house. I have only lived with a host family one other time before and it was only for four days in Costa Rica, so this would be a big change for me. Even when I studied abroad the last time, I lived in a dorm with other American students.

When I was dropped off at the house of my new family for the next four months, they graciously helped to carry my suitcases up to my room and show me around their house. Everyday they prepare a small breakfast with toast and coffee and also prepare a dinner that they eat with us. This time at dinner is one of the most invaluable times during the day because I get to practice my Spanish while learning more about the lives of my host parents, Maria and Luciano, and while learning more about the culture of the city that I am living in, all from local Argentinians. Even though I have only been in Buenos Aires for a week and have only been living with this family for a week, I would definitely recommend living with a host family to anyone studying abroad with a desire to learn the language of their host country.

On the terrace of my host family’s house.
Maxi, my host family’s dog.
Martina, my host family’s cat.