Community Party in Denmark

Submitted by Alyssa Ashley on the 2016 fall semester DIS (Denmark’s International Study Program) program in Copenhagen, Denmark…

While studying abroad, I have the opportunity to have a visiting host family, although, I am living in a residential community with American students. Having a visiting host family means that I get to experience the culture with a Danish family, however,I am not living with them. It is up to myself and my family to reach out to one another and create events and activities. I was a bit nervous to meet my host family since I had no knowledge of how much English they spoke and I wasn’t sure how I would be able to connect with people who lived such a different lifestyle than mine. Although, there are many aspects that differentiate myself from my visiting host family, we both had one common goal: to learn from one another.

I met the husband of the family, Flemming, at the metro stop and was greeted by him and his oldest daughter Mari. I’m going to admit; it was awkward at first. We exchanged hellos and I noted that the metro stop was beautiful since it was outside overlooking the city. We went to a Danish ice-cream shop and Flemming translated the flavors for me. For a while, I wondered where Flemming’s wife was, but figured that she was at home with Marcus the younger son. After some small talk and delicious ice-cream, I tried thyme-leaf mint, we went back to my visiting family’s home. The neighborhood was very modern and the neighbors were outside waving and smiling, as Flemming told me that he was born and raised in the same neighborhood that he is raising his kids.

Once we arrived at their house, I was shocked and amazed at the landscape. The house was surrounded by trees growing fruit, there was a rabbit cage outside, a hammock was hanging from trees – the whole house looked so serene and relaxing. Judging from the look on my face, Flemming said “we enjoy our time together outside”. I thought that was so nice to hear since I am used to living in a city back home. I was offered lemonade that Flemming squeezed and made himself with elder berry, while Mari and I took snapchats and pictures of each other. Flemming said “it is nice to see how quickly Mari is warming up to you, because she has always wanted an American friend.” upon hearing his words, I realized that I was the only connection Mari had to America.

After some stories about my family and a tour of the house, we went to a community party. There, I was greeted by Danes who looked so genuinely happy to see me. The friendliness was definitely new to me. Usually back home at a party, everyone says hi to the people that they know and carry on their own business. Here, everyone was so welcoming. Flemming, Mari and I went to the back of the party to get food and to my surprise, I was given raw meat.

“You roast it yourself in the back, it’s a Danish tradition.” Although taken aback, I was able to appreciate the independence I had of cooking my food the way I like it. As the night went on, party-goers danced and laughed and I noticed that no one had their phones out at all. The night was so beautiful. It was straight out of a movie.

Community House Alyssa Ashley 16F DIS Copenhagen smDanish Barbeque Alyssa Ashley 16F DIS Copenhagen sm