Hawaii: Kona Living History Museum

Submitted by Alexandra Orlan on the 2016 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the Department of Behavioral Health and Nutrition…

My favorite place we visited this week was the Kona Living History Museum, specifically the coffee farm.  It was so cool how Pauline, the tour guide, showed us how the Uchida family lived on a day-to-day basis.  What I found interesting was how the mother woke up early and prepared everything, starting with breakfast.  This meal usually consisted of an egg omelet and a stir-fry of whichever vegetables they were growing on the farm.  Another aspect I found cool was how sustainable the Uchida family was.  They made clothing from rice bags, filters from tobacco packages and the children made toys from flower and coffee seeds.  It is remarkable how families used everything they had and nothing went to waste.  This idea of sustainability seems to be a common trend in Hawaii, as I have observed these past few weeks.  If in Kona, definitely visit the Kona Living History Museum; it is as if you went back in time.

Breakfast old style Alexandra Orlan 16W Hawaii NTDT sm