New Zealand: Waitangi Treaty Grounds

Submitted by Samantha Bornhardt on the 2018 winter session program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of  Communication…

Before European settlers arrived in New Zealand, Polynesian natives called Maori dominated the two islands. Similar to our Native Americans, the Maori inhabited New Zealand in large tribes, using the natural resources of the island to thrive and build beautiful cultural communities. However, what differs between our relationship with the Native Americans and New Zealand’s relationship with the Maori is their presence in the country. Unlike the Native Americans, Maori culture is celebrated and equivalent to the European settler’s culture. All signs have both English and Maori translations, Maori communities are still present, both flags are always raised at even heights and even the Maori tongue is infused in the everyday language. For example, “Kia Ora!” means hello or welcome.

As a class, we took a trip to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds in Paiha in the Bay of Islands. Here, we watched a traditional Maori welcome dance and toured their meeting house. I was stunned at the detailed architecture of each meeting house, canoe or dress. Everything about the culture was so genuine; they held strong family values and were mindful of their resources. Their culture made me realize the little things we as Americans can work on in our culture, such as utilizing resources without over consumption or appreciating each individual in a tribe or family as having a specific spiritual role.

After the welcome dance and an introduction into their beautifully unique culture, we sat down to have a traditional Hangi dinner. Chicken, lamb, pork and vegetables are cooked in a natural oven which consists of a deep hole in the ground lined with hot lava rocks. They then lay down a woven basket which holds the meat and vegetables. Then to act as an insulator just as tin foil would, the Maori chef wraps the food in large banana leaves which helps retain the natural juices. The food cooks for about ten to twelve hours and then served at dinner time.

After hearing that our food was cooked in the ground, I was immediately turned off by it. Expecting to not like any of the food, I packed a granola bar in my purse. However, I was more than pleasantly surprised when the food was served. It was like having a barbeque, but far better—the food was juicy and fresh, it practically melted in my mouth!

After our excursion to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, I began to truly appreciate the other cultures around the world. Each culture has a unique story behind how it began and what it values. They have their own character and spunk which makes traveling to each part of the world a new experience. This experience really opened up my prespective on other cultures and has made me more accepting to new things. Thanks to this small glimpse of the Maori culture I am now even more excited for our overnight stay in the Maori village! Kia Ora!