Last Days in Cambodia

Submitted by Krista Adams on the 2013 winter session study abroad program in Cambodia and Vietnam sponsored by the Department of Art…

My last few days studying photography in Cambodia were more amazing than I could have ever hoped for. The Photography and Wildlife groups split up for a few days, and then were able to spend our last days together, exploring the city of Siem Reap.

The photo kids spent one day at Prek Tohl bird reserve and riding in boats along a floating village. It was so amazing seeing an entire functioning village, completely floating on water. Three smaller boats brought us through narrow passages on about an hour long  excursion to a look-out in the bird reserve. We climbed 3 bamboo ladders up into a tree where we overlooked treetops and got to see lots of different kinds of birds. It was a very educational and eye-opening day, topped off with breakfast and lunch on floating restaurants!
UD students try their hand at photographing birds at the Prek Tohl Bird Reserve.
One of the most unique, genuine and memorable experiences that we had on this trip came towards the end and was an amazing way to be sent off from such a beautiful country. We got up before sunrise and got the chance to observe Buddhist Monks in morning prayer in a temple by Angkor Wat. We then watched as they prepared and ate breakfast. We were then given the chance to try their breakfast; we were the first group of students to ever do this! It was an amazing honor that I will never forget. The morning ended with the Monks blessing our group, something that not many people can say they have experienced.
The Buddhist Monks at morning prayer.
Our last few days consisted of finishing our classwork and spending more time exploring the wonderful city of Siem Reap.

Looking back on my whole journey, from start to finish, I can’t even believe how much I’ve learned and how much I’ve grown and all the friendships I have made. I am forever grateful for this opportunity and look forward to visiting Cambodia again in my future!