Director’s Message

Welcome to the web page of the American Civilization Program! I’m a 2009 graduate of the program myself who recently returned “home” to join the faculty at the University of Delaware. I’m beyond excited that I have the honor and pleasure of directing the American Civilization program, which I know from personal experience is an incredibly rich intellectual program of study.

The American Civilization Program is one of the oldest such programs in the country. It has long stood out for its interdisciplinarity, its collaboration with the Winterthur Program in American Material Culture Studies, and its extraordinary strengths in material culture studies. We also have exciting new initiatives under way in cooperation with the University’s Center for Material Culture Studies, including opportunities for international research and exchange.

Exciting things are happening in the American Civilization program! Please explore our website to learn more about our program, and to meet some of our current students and recent graduates. If you would like to discuss an application to the American Civilization Program, please contact me via e-mail at zma@udel.edu.

With best wishes,
Zara Anishanslin
Assistant Professor, Department of History and Art History