UD Apiary

The Teaching Apiary

The UD apiary on South Campus is home to twenty-five hives translating to some 1.3-2.2 million honey bees, providing pollination services to the surrounding fields and gardens.  The resident honeybees are an active part of the teaching, research and outreach programs in the Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology.  In addition to the hives on-campus, the University maintains three additional apiaries for research, outreach, and queen production.

UD teaching apiary

(Photo courtesy of Deborah Delaney)

Deborah Delaney, assistant professor of entomology and wildlife ecology, who oversees the apiary and bee program, teaches ENWC 224, the beekeeping class, where each student stewards their own hive and learns bee biology and beekeeping skills. Students are encouraged to help with honey harvest and extraction and Delaney is currently trying to secure grant monies for a master’s student project that would utilize the colonies in the apiary.

4 comments:

1. Hello,
    I am a Girl Scout leader in Dover De and we have some girls wanting to work on an award project in relation to honeybees. One girl saw the hives at the university and wanted to build some for the program or other programs. I do not know much about beekeeping and was wondering if the girls could visit the Apiary in the next month. Can someone please let me know if this is possible and provided me with some contact names and numbers.
    thanks colleen

2. Hi Colleen,

Yes, that is definitely possible. Building a hive would be a great Girl Scout project. Please reach out to me at DanBee@udel.edu and I can share some info with you, and we’ll figure out a time to get together.

-Dan

3. UD hives at Fairhill . Was out there yesterday and did not see any.. 9/29/2023. Was wondering if they have been moved to another area out there or have been totally moved to another offsite location. I have a couple of native bee boxes on my small property in Harford County and a local friend has a honey bee hive … Thank you for your hard work in support of our bee population !

1. Hi Deborah,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, those hives have been moved away. They were part of a graduate research project that ended after last year.