Career Corner: Get the M-O-S-T Out of Your Education!

Welcome to the Talk of Townsend Career Corner! Whether you’re a freshman brainstorming about majors and career paths or a senior looking forward to wearing your cap and gown, information on this page will help to guide  exploration of yourself and the world of work.

The information listed below is to help you make the M-O-S-T of your education!

M (majors)

O (occupations)

S (support services)

T (the places to find internships and jobs)

MAJORS

I’m not quite sure what all of the paths are that I can take after I graduate from my major. Where can I find more information about my major and the others that are offered at UD? I might want to add a double major and would be interested in finding out what’s possible with those degree programs as well.

Majors & Career Communities

The Career Center provides tailored services based on industry-focused career communities. These career communities supply guidance on preparation steps, experiences and connections needed to be competitive in the workplace.

Choosing a career community or several career communities presents tailored opportunities to connect academic studies to the world of work. Additionally, being a part of a career community allows for a more personalized career experience through customized newsletters, networking events and more.

UD Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog

The University’s online catalog provides students with a listing of all majors and minors as well as the courses required for completion of the programs.

OCCUPATIONS

Ok, so I know what some fields are that I can enter with my major, but now I want more information about the occupations I’ve heard about. I want to know more about salary information and employment trends for the field. There’s a lot of websites out there. Where’s a good place to start?

Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH)

The Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) is a resource maintained by the US Department of Labor that provides detailed information on hundreds of occupations. Training and education, earnings, expected job prospects, what workers do on the job, and working conditions are included.

When looking at the website, 0n the far left column, enter a job title or key term in the “Search OOH” bar to quickly find information pertaining to any desired occupation.

Occupational Information Network (O*NET)

Also available through the US Department of Labor is the Occupational Information Network (O*NET), which gives general, standardized descriptions for hundreds of occupations. This database also offers various career exploration tools to help guide individuals on their quest for knowledge about the world of work.

SUPPORT SERVICES, CAREER-RELATED

This is a lot of great information about UD’s majors and occupations that are possible with degrees from these programs. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about whether my major is right for me and what career path I want to enter. I’ve already talked with my academic advisor, but I have heard that there are additional services on campus that specifically offer major and career-related guidance. Who can help me make sense of all the thoughts in my head?

Center for Counseling and Student Development (CCSD)

The Center for Counseling and Student Development in Warner Hall provides counseling to UD students. A series of counseling sessions are included in the student health fee paid each semester. A counselor may be able to assist students who are feeling overwhelmed or are experiencing uncertainty about their futures.

Career Center

The Career Center offers a number of career resources to students, including individual career appointments, mock interviews, a career library, resume reviews, career fairs, a campus interview program, and Handshake, the #1 way college students find jobs.

THE PLACES TO FIND  INTERNSHIPS AND JOBS

I have a pretty good feeling about what I may want to do with my major. I want to get some experience before I graduate to see what kind of work environments that I like and to add to my resume. Where can I find specific internship and job opportunities?

UD CANR Student Internship Website

This site highlights sources of internship opportunities for Ag students, especially those offered by the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources itself.

Handshake

Handshake is the Career Center’s premiere database of hundreds of internships and jobs – including full-time, part-time, volunteer, and summer opportunities – posted specifically for UD students and alumni.

Talk of Townsend Home Page

Be sure to bookmark the TOT home page and check frequently for updated internship, job, and scholarship postings!

Academic Advisor

Your academic advisor may also be able to inform you about other internships and career paths previously completed by students in your major.

Internet Resources

Don’t underestimate the power of searching the web for internships and jobs!