Dare to Change the World

San Diego, California
Asma in San Diego, California

« Asma you should apply in the MEPI 2014 , go out from your comfort zone, this will be one of the best experiences in all your life , and I am sure that you will be accepted just don’t hesitate » That was the advice of my friend, MEPI alumni 2013 Souha Werghi, and that’s what I did.

I applied and I was accepted and here I am writing these lines from San Diego ,with the UD MEPI family.

GoPro #Selfies
GoPro #Selfies

But before telling you my MEPI story, let me introduce myself.  I am Asma Kaouech , 22 years old from Tunisia.  I am recently graduated in public law  and I am an activist in the Tunisian civil society and you can define me as a leader.

And it gives me a deep sense of satisfaction to be a 2014 UD MEPI.

Country Presentations...TUNISIAAAAA
Country Presentations…TUNISIAAAAA

Asma Pic 4

We are now about three weeks away from the end of this adventure.  Let me rewind this back to the 24th of June when it all began.

At first, all the MEPIs were shy,  that was the first moment that almost of us meet each other.  But, now we know, love, care, help and support each other . Now we are a family.  We, UD MEPIs have spent great moments together.  Certainly there are huge differences between us.  We came from different countries and we don’t have the same ways of thinking.  We are really different and although have our differences, we made a success story.  In fact, the things that we have in common are more than things that separate us.  We are MEPIs because we are different, because we are complementary, because we love this world, and we want to make it a better place and to make a positive change.

Let me give you a little summary of what I have learned from this program.

First , show up: This means take the initiative and do not be shy and hesitant of your dreams. All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

Cecond , speaking up:  this means you should express your opinion.

Third, team up: because we can’t realize our success unless if we are united.

Fourth, make the world a better place

Then:  share your success and never give up.

And that’s what I am doing as a leader.

Civic Engagement at Kingswood Community Center

Today 16th July 2014, we went to the Joan B.Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice which is the nexus of practice, policy and scholarship in peace building and human rights. This was an unforgettable session; I learned great information from great people. I learned that Peace is not just a cause; it is an attitude, a daily lifestyle. Ms Diana Kutlow the IPJ senior program officer give me a lot of inspiration, she is an amazing lady that lives not only for her but for others. She has done a lot of training in conflict-affected countries bringing together civil society, governments, the security sector and human rights advocates to address the inequalities that fuel conflict and find paths to sustainable peace.

Joan B. Kroc Center for Peace and Justice, University of San Diego

That visit to the Joan B.Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice inspired me a lot and gave me a big push to pursue my dream: changing the world.

All in all, I am a Tunisian young MEPI that walks with a purpose, that has a big dream and who is making her life a story worth telling.

UD MEPI , Dare to be first , Dare to be leader , Dare to change the world.

National Constitution Center Museum.  Taking the Oath of Office.
National Constitution Center Museum. Taking the Oath of Office.
Asma: Blue Hen Forever
Asma: Blue Hen Forever

–Asma

Bookmark the permalink.