Is it better to study what you love or what you think will get you a job?

As good as it sounds to study what love, I think it’s better to do what you think will get you a job.  Studying what you love may sound like a good idea at the time but in the long run it may be difficult to find a job.  Any career that I can think of that I would “love” to do would not result in me making much money.  I would much rather do something I don’t like as much and never have to worry about money than doing a job that I love and living paycheck to paycheck.  It’s definitely worth it to me to struggle though the day at work and be unhappy while i’m working to enjoy a nice life outside of work doing things I want to do and enjoying life.  In today’s world with today’s economy, doing what you love just to be happy isn’t going to cut it.  It would be wonderful if everyone could do what they love and make a decent living but unfortunately that’s not the case.  I think everyone should be able to find a happy medium when choosing a major and deciding what they want to do.  Just because you’re not pursuing a career you love doesn’t mean it has to be miserable and you have to hate your job.  For example, I’m pursuing an accounting career and although it may not be the most exciting job, accounting is a field that is always going to be hiring.  I feel strongly that it would be much financially smarter to study what you think will get you a job and set you up better for the future.  As bad as the economy is now-a-days, it’s so important to take any opportunity you can at a successful future in order to be financially stable.

Joseph

3 Comments

1. Joey I agree with you, doing what you love just does not cut it these days with the economy and I think there is a medium that people need to find. I also agree that accounting will be a great field to go into because they are always needed in companies so they are a high hiring job and it will hopefully be easy for you to find a job after you graduate.

2. I agree with you that it is important to get a job that will make you some money even if that particular job is not your favorite. I also agree with Davids comment that Accounting will always be needed so it is a good career to persue