Study Abroad in Spain

Submitted by Rebecca Gomeson the 2024 Spring program in Granada, Spain…

Week 2

This week, we got to visit Cordoba and the Alhambra. Cordoba is a very historic town in Andalusia. Many sites in Andalusia are heavily influenced by the Arabs. Cordoba is the only Mesquita and Cathedral in the world. I got to learn about the Arab, Jewish, and Catholic influence in this town. There is a whole neighborhood, the oldest in Cordoba, that contains a Temple and many Jewish sites. Throughout this town, you can see old and newer buildings, as the city was reconquered by other groups, instead of destroying old buildings, these groups would add their own. I got to try torta de papas. It was a pie made of potatoes and eggs, it was so delicious.  

We also got to visit the Alhambra and its palaces. It was such an amazing experience, on a one-of-a-kind site. My favorite part of visiting places in Southern Spain is seeing the different architectural styles and cultures. In the Alhambra, there are Catholic and Islamic architects.

Week 3

My third week in Granada consisted of classes and a weekend trip to Madrid! I am glad I got to visit the capital after a week of studying and a placement exam. During the whole week, I was studying grammar and getting ready to take the exam. On Friday, as soon as I finished the exam, my friends and I took the metro to the bus station and hopped on a bus to Madrid. The weekend was filled with museums, walking, and seeing other UD students who are studying abroad in Madrid!

I got to visit the Prado Museum, the royal palace, and the gallery. Prado had paintings from Goya, Bosch to Picasso. I got to see many paintings that I’ve studied in the past. It was an amazing experience. I particularly enjoyed seeing Goya’s painting of Saturn devouring his son and Bosch’s The Garden of Earthly Delights.

Madrid was really fun, however, it was so nice to go back to Granada. It is truly one of a kind city and it feels like home. I got back just in time to destress and get ready for the start of the semester. It was so easy getting to Madrid, I am excited for future trips!

First week of Classes and field trip!

This week before starting classes, our program took us on a field trip to Archidona. We got a tour of the city and a Cofradia, a tour of an olive farm and olive oil tasting, and we went on a hike. The town only has over 8 thousand inhabitants, it consists of an extremely tight-knit community. We got to go inside the second Cofradria (brotherhood) created in Spain, which is over 500 years old! Inside there were many decorations used during the celebration of the holy week. 

When we arrived at the olive farm, we learned about the history of olive oil, its importance, the economy and culture, and its Arabic influence. The word for olive oil in Spamish is “Aceite de Oliva”; aceite comes from Arabic and oliva comes from Greek. The farm we visit produces gourmet olive oil because it focuses on safe ecological production. By using no chemicals and waiting for the land to rest, their olive oil is richer and more expensive due to the prestigious end products. We got to taste two types of olive oil, we also learned the difference in smells and taste. We also made homemade Porra, which is a souplike dish, with fresh tomatoes, garlic, and bread. Afterward, we got to learn about gardening and plan different types of flowers. 

Lastly, we climbed the Sierra de Gracia in Archidona, a steep hill that leads to a chapel and castle. It was a beautiful view of the city and mountains. Unfortunately, we did not make it on time to see the church before it closed. I am so grateful we got to experience life in rural Spain and a smaller town. It was a refreshing day before starting the first day of classes. The rest of my week consisted of adapting to my schedule and enjoying life in Granada. (Submitted on February 4, 2024)