Sydney: The City of Cities

Submitted by Riley Hazel on the 2024 Spring semester program in Sydney, Australia

By now, I’ve been in Sydney for almost a full week. I’ve been to so many places, met so many people, and got to experience the sights and sounds of the city. That’s the beauty of this city, the sights and sounds. Quite simply, there is nothing like Sydney. No city, not even Los Angeles or New York City, can be compared to this one. The feeling Sydney gives off is indescribable to other cities in the US and quite frankly, the world. I was shocked to see how adverse this city is and how many cultures reside there. Not only that, but the pure beauty of it as well as the many parts of nature Sydney provides. I take a 20-minute walk to my classes and every day I find something new and just walk in awe of the rich culture this city has to offer. The architecture of houses varies from Victorian to modern, but even then it has a charm that no other city can compare to. You don’t feel dirty like you do in other cities, but rather you get the peaceful, busy emotions that the suburbs give off. I’ve been to New York City plenty of times, but Sydney is just way above that. I was shocked most about walking on the left side as well as traffic being on the left side but you quickly get used to it. Overall, Sydney so far has been a city of wonder, shock, and beauty; the city of cities. (Submitted January 18, 2024)