Rome Week 1: Exploring the Sights

Submitted by Barrett Miller on the 2024 Spring semester program in Rome, Italy

Week 1 has been such a whirlwind. With so much to see and experience the first week has felt like so much to see with the time I am here. I have to keep reminding myself I am here for 4 months and have all the time in the world to explore. With classes yet to start, my schedule has been jam-packed with tours and wandering around. I have walked almost 50 miles this week, yet it still feels as if I haven’t even skimmed the surface of what this city has to offer. My week began with a tour around Trastevere, the neighborhood in Italy I live in. Walking around there is so much history and culture. Trastevere has hundreds of restaurants and shops. I feel like I could walk around forever and still find new places to discover. From the views, the environment, and all the beautiful landmarks, Trastevere has already proven to be an area full of places to explore. We then were taken on a tour to navigate the city. From there a group of us wandered over to the Trevi Fountain. I could stare at this statue forever. There is so much intricate detail that goes into this sculpture, which remains true for everything in Rome. You just look at it and wonder how in the world it could have possibly been constructed. Looking at it constantly dumbfounds me as I am in amazement at its intricacy. So far my first week has consisted of walking around and just taking in the breathtaking city I have the privilege of living in for the next 4 months. (Submitted January 21, 2024)